Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin

A PA at my doctors office just put me on Wellbrutin for anxiety. I have been on Clonazapam for years. Going to try and wean off of it. Everything I read Wellbutrin or genetic form is for depression which I do not have. Have taken it 2 times and the side effects are bad. Actually makes me more anxious. Any opinions and knowledge on this med??????

It helped short term with depression when I took it years ago. Liked it better than other meds aside from the anxiety. It does have heavy stimulant effects compared to many other antidepressants

I've never taken Wellbutrin, but from my knowledge Wellbutrin is more of an "activating" anti-depressant then a sedating one, so it would make sense that it might agitate your anxiety. That said, anxiety could be a temporary side effect. If you haven't already, definitely talk to your doctor. She/he might have had a reason to prescribe Wellbutrin, especially if you reported feeling tired or lethargic.

Also you mentioned that reading about Wellbutrin made you feel like it was more for depression. A lot of drugs used for depression are also used for long term treatment of anxiety disorders, just in case you were unaware of that. I remember when I first was diagnosed with Panic disorder, I was confused by that too.

I'm about to call my doctor and get off this Wellbutrin. Makes me dizzy. Speech slurs. Anxiety is worse. Hands shakes.

I had bad side effects from it as well. Couldnt sleep and was restless.

The other antidepressants works much better for anxiety than Wellbutrin. Not sure why you were given that if you have more anxiety than depression? Wellbutrin gave me insomna

I tried Wellbutrin, it felt like it caused a higher heart rate for me.