Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Do you have Anxiety or Fear?

I'm interested to know how you describe your condition...

Would you say you have Anxiety or Fear? Are you anxious or fearful?

Would you say that your Anxiety is caused by Fear?

Do you think that Fear is something very different to Anxiety?

Do you think that there is any relationship between Anxiety and Fear?

Your responses would be really helpful.

Thanks, Jon

Fear and anxiety are different. Fear is as an emoticon that occurs when exposed to a known threat (e.g. a hungry lion in front of you), anxiety emerges when worrying about ''unknown'' threats. Or at least, that's how I see it.

Thanks. That's an interesting way to split them.

I have come to define the threats that are not real threats to our lives (such as 'I'm afraid of what people will say about me' etc.) as False fears.

The ones that are a true threat to our lives... such as the lion... are Real fears.

Like you say, anxieties relate to "unknown" threats or... our minds and bodies responding to an imagined future threat, based on some past experience, that we bring into the present moment. Anxiety is rarely about something that is happening to us right there and then. It is often about some imagined future bad outcome.

I would say, "Fear is Fear. Learning to accept fear wherever & whenever it exists, is more important than the labels we ascribe in our head." We can try to analyse our way out of a chaotic and mundane experiences, but generally speaking the mechanism that drives the mind - aka- thought; generates emotion without the need for roaring lions and ball busting monkeys. Although life threatening situations make for a good analogy when drawing a distinction between "in the moment/present experience Vs those we ourselves ( + Influential/manipulated/controlled ) constantly project in our head.

The chaotic world in which we live - our wonderfully advanced fast paced competitive world to which influences a lot of the threats and fears that dwell within our head is as real as any hungry roaring lion yet to be box and shipped to one of our beautiful zoos.

Fear is Fear - it's all the same to me. No matter how much we try to box and label our anxiety; it's still going to roar and consume us if we can't just accept it as part of life, leave it where it is - aka live and let live - Leave things the way they be. Humans are have gone insane because they can't stop trying to control and consume everything. It is our way - Whatever you want to call fear ... rather than trying to conquer it ... take it for a walk. Instead of trying to control and endlessly defining everything, try taking what we don't understand for a walk instead. Just be sure to take a dog rather than a roaring lion.

So it is that I still say - "Anxiety & Fear - Pfft ... What's the difference!" To which I already answered. For me ... that's how it is.
    Last edited by Ponder; 04-06-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

I'm mostly anxious.

I think my anxiety is a combination of my physiology and how I grew up framing the world. I think most of my triggers are physical--whether chemistry or electrical, something on the neurological level that might be measurable given some sufficiently advanced test. But it also would not exist or be a problem if I didn't think and have the memories and trauma I did. So there's a bit of an interaction there.

I am extremely fearful sometimes. I know that sometimes I am stricken with this dark sensation and it scares the living crap out of me. I may or may not see things in a radically different way, and the same things I knew before just feel overwhelmingly bad. But this can be divorced from the general feeling of anxiety, and I've felt this distinction since I was a little kid.

I think examination of the esoteric can be helpful sometimes in understanding, for those of us who want to/need to. People with anxiety can live in kind of a fractured reality, especially those who have dissociation or perceptual issues on top of it so digging deeper lets us spot those landmarks within us so we can better understand the world around us too. I think everyone's different, and this fear/anxiety dichotomy that might be so clear to me might not exist for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by willheal View Post
    I'm mostly anxious.

I think my anxiety is a combination of my physiology and how I grew up framing the world. I think most of my triggers are physical--whether chemistry or electrical, something on the neurological level that might be measurable given some sufficiently advanced test. But it also would not exist or be a problem if I didn't think and have the memories and trauma I did. So there's a bit of an interaction there.
    hi willheal... interesting observation... i like the insight :-)

i made a video on this explaining how it works for me

if you have a minute to give feedback would like to open a dialog about this and what we all do to cope/get thru/ect.
    if you like my comments you can check out my little videos on anxiety and sobriety here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ps: although i like to answer people and help them with anxiety... i am not even close to having it "all figured out" i'm just one out of 8 billion people navigating life to the best of my abilities... and i found some things that work for me :-) hope it helps you too.

Thanks all for your responses.

There is a reason I've asked this question... I'm trying to gauge how people with these kind of challenges would classify them... do they have anxieties or do they have fears?

And the reason for that is... I have used a technique for a couple of years that has helped me massively and I'm starting to share it with others (anyone interested in giving it a go then just message me and I'll let you have a copy of it)... but I need to give it a name and at the moment it is along the lines of being a technique for resolving fears. People seem to be very resistant to trying it. And I was wondering if it was because it has the word Fear in the name and perhaps people don't see that they have fears, or perhaps they're actually afraid of becoming fearless!!

Because in the present moment we can only view the future through our current fears then I wonder if this keeps some people stuck... if I said I could clear your fear of speaking in front of a large audience and I've lined up a presentation for you to do tomorrow in front of 500 people then I guess you'd freak out! Even if I could guarantee that you would have no fear doing it tomorrow.

From the experiences of my own anxieties, and completely clearing them, I have come to learn that the problem IS fear. Anxieties are the physical and mental manifestation of dormant fears.

I hear a lot about 'managing' anxieties but this technique, once used to resolve a fear, returns full freedom. No 'managing', which is exhausting! Any volunteers very welcome

willheal, I have PTSD from a childhood incidence that is buried in my left side of my chest and head. I fully retriggered it whilst using Somatic Experiencing on my own (there are no therapist near me).

I would call trauma related anxiety, terror! That's how it felt and sometimes feels to me.

Like you say, I feel that the trauma is at a physiological/biological level even deeper than the mind.

There is an excellent book on this subject... The Body Keeps The Score... which you might find helpful.

I have started playing around with Brainspotting which has shown good results with trauma.
    Last edited by JonB; 04-07-2017 at 02:07 AM. Reason: adding clarification

Social anxiety from interactions with people. Fear is from a fear of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by The Intolerable Kid View Post
    Social anxiety from interactions with people. Fear is from a fear of heights.
    And do you think anxiety is related in any way to fear?