Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy 5htp - long term use in high doses

Hello. I started using 5htp 6months ago. First month 5 htp really saved me . It changed my mood again to really good ,normal., energy.
    I was taking 100 mg 2x daily.
    3.-4. month i I had to continuously improve doses to 4-5 tabs daily. It means 400-500mg* .
    It still was working for shortest time. Im still upping tabs per day . I sometimes take 800 mg of 5htp per day...
    Nowadays its absolutule lose effecity .
    Im again lost. Depressed. Anxiety . No energy. I can t do nothing.
    And the biigest pain ist , i absolutely dont know what can i do . Please help me

And im really sorry for my English.

Keep us posted and let us know. Although your findings will no doubt differ to another persons experience. Recovery and stability depends on a LOT more than just the pills themselves.

Best of luck.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Hey,

5htp is an amino acid. These usually work in tandem with other amino acids. If you focus on one and neglect the others, an imbalance can occur.

I'm not saying for sure that that is what has happened with you. It's just something to investigate. You could add some B6 to your current supplement regime to see if that re-livens the 5htp. If nothing, you could try adding L-tyrosine to the mix.

Note: I only speak from experience. I'm no doctor!

It's also possible that the 5htp boosted your mood for a little bit, but your depression and anxiety still found a way to break through. This can often happen when somebody takes supplements or anti-depressants. It's known as the "poop out"...

Like Ponder said, you may need to address the underlying causes of your depression: lack of purpose, thinking errors, unhealthy beliefs, trauma, inner conflict, poor lifestyle, etc.