Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I just lost my job for calling in sick

I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong I am just so upset right now. I have suffered from anxiety in the past but have been pretty well recently. I have had a few pretty tough weeks and have not been feeling great. I work in a bar and we have to arrange our own cover I said I was feeling sick but I couldn't get anyone and I tried to tell my manager. He then messaged me to say he has taken me off the rota for this weekend and next and he wants to see me Thursday. It looks bad and I don't know what to tell my partner. I feel awful inside and blame myself I know I let myself down. I just don't know what I am going to do next.

Welcome to the forum. I would try not to blame or to be too hard on yourself as anxiety can be tough to manage.
    I would try to get some form of help for your anxiety, whether it be medical or natural. You have to see what works
    best for you.

Cbluebell, considering how awful overwhelming anxiety can be, you can't beat yourself up if you can't handle the anxieties you are dealing with.

Many people lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Anyone would be upset over the loss of their job, unless they either hated it or did not need the money.

How is your job now?

CBluebell, I know you feel like you've let yourself down. But look at it this way...if you had a physical illness of no fault of your own and couldn't work because of it, would you think that you let yourself down?

Of course not!

So, with that said, why believe that you've let yourself down because of your serious anxiety issues?

See what I mean?

I've had those kinds of jobs. They try to bully you into working when sick and I have done just that. I worked a particularly miserable night when I had a terrible case of the flu once, passed out at one point and still finished my shift. No one should have to endure torture like that. The "work sick or you're fired" mentality shows that a business is cruel and impractical.
    There's always another job out there if they do let you go. You've got nothing to be ashamed of, good luck to you.

So were you fired? how are you doing?

I know it is a late reply got caught up in my work drama. Thank you everyone for your kind words things have been sorted now. Turned out i hadn't been fired just suspended, although he would not tell me what was going on at first when I asked him. Things are back to normal which is a relief

I have a friend who stressed out whenever something sorta vague like that would happen so much, but in the end it was pretty much nothing. That friend is me Never ever blame yourself for stuff like this and don't accept any from anyone else. It is just extra baggage you don't need. If you want peace of mind if something like that happens again, make an action plan for the scenario you are fearing. You can write it down so that you have something you can hold in your hands that says that you are ready! You can then drink tea or do something relaxing afterwards to associate this with the fact that you are READY for whatever. Trust me - if you would be in serious trouble for something like that, it's probably a sign you should get something changed anyway