Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

4 Months of Absolute Frustration

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to anxiety, I've had since I was around 8 (currently 26) when I was diagnosed with OCD while at an Inpatient Psychiatric Hospital. Health anxiety has been in my life for the past 4 years and it's been at its worst these past 4 months. It started with a firm belief that I have ALS or MS. I've moved on from that and was sent to physical therapy to take care of my issues along with going back to a psychologist and a higher dose of Lexapro. I've put my faith in my doctors but the frustration is setting in because I am not seeing the results that I was hoping for.

Some of my physical symptoms have gotten better but they are still there. I am still dealing with pain in my feet, thumb and pinky; tingling/electrical shocks/numbness in my arms and legs, general shakiness (especially when eating or performing fine movements), muscle burning in my thighs, shins, and forearms.

I am beginning to lose hope. I felt like I was getting better but I'm second guessing everything because the symptoms still haven't resolved.

I am seeing a doctor again next week to reevaluate my medication and to see if she wants to send me back to a neurologist who I already saw in November. They both believe this is all anxiety and my body telling me that I need to take it easier with crossfit/running workouts. I took two months off of intense exercise and resumed last month since there was little improvement with physical and psychiatric therapy and didn't want to wallow in misery anymore.

Can symptoms seriously take this long to get better? It just makes me question my sanity and the diagnosis of my doctors.
    Last edited by SkinsFan28; 03-14-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Formatting

Hi SkinsFan

I guess the short answer is yes, symptoms of anxiety can take a long time to get better. I'm not much of a health anxiety person (there seem to be the health anxiety people here and the social anxiety people, and I'm more the latter) but I think people with health anxiety tend to be overly aware of symptoms. By no means am I saying they "make it up" just that their fear revolves around bodily sensations.

Do you ever exercise in nature? Hiking or anything? I advised someone else here to try walking in nature because it's more therapeutic than in a gym or at home or whatever.

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Yes recovery can take months and months unfortunately. I think you need to give it more time. Reduce the intensity of your exercise! Lots of sleep and rest. Eat well, drink water.

Thank you for the input guys. Getting restful sleep has been incredibly hard and causes anxiety itself. Definitely do need to drink more water and take it a little easier. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow which has heightened anxiety and increased symptoms today, what a shock right? I will continue working towards acceptance no matter how hard my mind tells me otherwise.