Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anxiety with exercise

Hello all,

I have wanted to get back in shape for years and exercise helps my anxiety. The problem is that I go into a panic mode whenever I exercise, subconsciously. My body tenses (more than it should) and my breathing becomes erratic (which leads to pins and needles, and more body tension). I try to do cardio sessions at home (from youtube videos) and can barely get through 5 minutes because everything is tight and I feel like I am running through cement! Any help with this appreciated! Maybe I just need to have some "self talk" and let myself know I will be okay before working out?

I would gradually increase your workouts and don't move up to the next level until you are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by PR83 View Post
    Hello all,

I have wanted to get back in shape for years and exercise helps my anxiety. The problem is that I go into a panic mode whenever I exercise, subconsciously. My body tenses (more than it should) and my breathing becomes erratic (which leads to pins and needles, and more body tension). I try to do cardio sessions at home (from youtube videos) and can barely get through 5 minutes because everything is tight and I feel like I am running through cement! Any help with this appreciated! Maybe I just need to have some "self talk" and let myself know I will be okay before working out?
    Exercise is good for anxiety but you need to keep it light. Go for walking, cycling, swimming where you can also relax while exercising and not working the body too hard. If you do need to work up a good sweat, then you will have to learn total passive acceptance of your symptoms. It's pretty hard to do that.

thanks all! I agree completely. I need to retrain my mind and body, it's going to take some work but I'll keep fighting!

Hi there

I would try walking. I saw a physiotherapist a few years ago for pain in my legs and he said it was caused by muscle tension (caused by stress, inactivity and bad posture). He advised walking and stretching, which I did, and it really helped. If you can walk somewhere in nature that's even better because it grounds you and gets you out of your head, which is great for anxiety. I need to take my own advice and get back into it myself!

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I like the walking advice. An hour-long walk every day is good exercise and shouldn't tax your body or nervous system.

Quote Originally Posted by PR83 View Post
    Hello all,

Then don't do cardio, you can do yoga or meditation.

I can absolutely relate to this. I'm a workout nut and love high intensity training. My anxiety has been focused on my muscles feeling off for the past 4 months and the anxiety makes it incredibly hard to focus. I took 2 months off during this period to reset myself by sticking to walking and yoga. Once I resumed training my symptoms started to creep back up because I was hyper focused and anxious about how my body would react during the workouts. I'm currently trying to find a balance between the two so that I can be symptom free again!

Going to the gym daily really helps me. Yoga and martial arts training is great too.

I think this might be happening to me as well, but i'm not sure. Perhaps try chewing gum (it causes a psychological trigger to feel more relaxed, due to the brain feeling a stimulant when eating).