Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Scared I've predicted someone's death

Hi All,

I've suffered anxiety for many years, and have had two cases of depression. Recently my anxiety has been playing up, mostly intense worrying about nothing, and over analysing things, but nothing that stops me going about my day to day life.
    Anyway, I'm in a very, very happy relationship with a loving man who I want to spend the rest of my life with. I am terrified of losing him when my anxiety is bad. Just the other day, I was talking to a close friend, and she mentioned a colleague whose partner had died tragically, and this took me back to some very very dark thoughts I had in the winter.

I was watching a TV show, and someone had died, and they were looking at their gravestone (it was set in the future), for some reason I imagined it was my partners grave, and saw next year in my head as a death date. This terrified me, I thought I'd some how seen the future, and that I was going to lose him really soon. After speaking about my friends colleague, I cannot stop thinking about it. I'm convinced that because I thought of it, it will some how come true, that it was a premonition.

Freaking myself out here, help!

very scary thought but u need to start thinking positive thoughts. believe in law of attraction? i do, start believing that your friend is having a great time with you...good conversation...great food...turn the attention AWAY from this "prediction"...it'll turn around

I personally don't think it was premonition. I believe it's more of your mind, having been bogged down by anxiety and depression, becoming very pessimistic and turning everything into a worst case scenario. During the lowest points of my life, I've imagined myself getting hit by a car because the driver was texting or drinking. It's not that uncommon.

I will agree with Emily that you need to think more positive. You love him so you are terrified of losing him. Instead of fearing about a future you don't have immediate control over, why not treasure the present and make the most with him? Enjoy life to the fullest and never look back. The future is uncertain because it's waiting for you to write it. Make the future better by living your life to the best you can.

I would ignore the thought as it has no predictive value at all.

If it was really possible for you to predict the future, you'd be putting bets on horses and already a millionaire

My psychiatrist taught me this: He said whenever I start having horrible fantasies about the future, that's anxiety. So now, when I come up with these crazy fears about the future, I just say to myself, "Stop. That's your anxiety. Move on to something good."

I do something similar. For example, if I tell someone about a good restaurant, then I start imagining they are going to go there, have a bad car accident and it will be all my fault.
    Oh, the joys of anxiety. Sigh.

Nobody, other than those with a terminal illness, knows when they are going to die. Could get knocked down by a car today. Could die 50 years from now. You watched a TV show. Saw a headstone and imagined it was your boyfriend. Why? Because you love him and would hate the thought of losing him. You put yourself in the place of those mourning in the TV show. Wondering what it would be like. Just the way the mind works. We see a car crash. We think ' what is that was my dad '. Similar thought. Just flashes though your mind. the people you would hate to lose.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

You know those talks some people have with each other? Like they say something awful that happens, maybe listen to your opinion, then forget about it and talk about something else? I had a teacher who kinda did that during a free time. She was so anxious when she told us an occurrence similar to yours happened. Then we talked about the decorations on the walls and the pictures being taken around the place and we were loling. Then the next day it was like nothing happened. She had fun and never mentioned it again. She let it go xP. And to this day nothing bad ever happened. You wouldn't know if it did happen if you didn't know her because she uplifted her view. She is now married to the dude and you woulda thunk she came out of Disney land every day haha X) Point is, do a ton of fun stuff together! Do fun stuff with others! When you have negative thoughts, stop. distract. fun.

Many times our brain mix up certain events. By the time you were watching TV, you were also thinking about your partner somewhere in your brain so your brain mix up both situations of death and your partner. But if you are still unsatisfied and want to know more about it to come over from scary thoughts of losing him you can talk to voyance pure consultant who helps to predict future with their extraordinary vision. Do not worry! it happens with many people. all you need is to keep calm and keep your mind and soul positive, that all will bring positive vibes and thoughts.