Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Bad health anxiety

Hi there. I'm suffering from bad health anxiety atm. Even though I'm only 17, I'm really scared of developing MND. I know it's extremely rare for someone my age to have it but it's such a horrible disease I don't want to develop it, not whilst I'm so young and still got all my life ahead of me. I've had this fear before, over a year ago, and I had to go A&E, see a neurologist and, as a result, go on anxiety pills. My fear developed again as my left arm is twitching, feels strange and is tiring out easy... I am stressed atm so I don't know if it's that. Also I have to keep scraping the bottom of my foot to check if I have a positive babinski's reflex and, even tho the reflex seems to be negative, I have the compulsion to do it just to see if it's positive as the reflex indicates a damage to motor neurons, it's horrible. I don't know what to do I see a therapist about my anxiety this week for an assessment but I need some advice to help with the self checking urges. Anyone have any similar worries also. Cheers for reading xx

Quote Originally Posted by jayja View Post
    Hi there. I'm suffering from bad health anxiety atm. Even though I'm only 17, I'm really scared of developing MND. I know it's extremely rare for someone my age to have it but it's such a horrible disease I don't want to develop it, not whilst I'm so young and still got all my life ahead of me. I've had this fear before, over a year ago, and I had to go A&E, see a neurologist and, as a result, go on anxiety pills. My fear developed again as my left arm is twitching, feels strange and is tiring out easy... I am stressed atm so I don't know if it's that. Also I have to keep scraping the bottom of my foot to check if I have a positive babinski's reflex and, even tho the reflex seems to be negative, I have the compulsion to do it just to see if it's positive as the reflex indicates a damage to motor neurons, it's horrible. I don't know what to do I see a therapist about my anxiety this week for an assessment but I need some advice to help with the self checking urges. Anyone have any similar worries also. Cheers for reading xx
    I have a blood pressure cuff and a pulse ox meter that I use all the time. I suspect this kind of thing is pretty common amongst sufferers. I check my pulse often, check my weight a lot, check my lungs to make sure neither has collapsed, etc, etc.

I've gotten better with it lately by laying out a schedule for doing these things. Once you're on a schedule, you can begin to slowly reduce the frequency of the checks. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Synner; 03-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Thank you it seems like a good idea and I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice!x