Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy I Start a new job tomorrow and I feel the most terrified I ever have about working

I'm new to the forums tonight because I just have to talk about what's happening with me right now. I turned 18 last August and I live in a small seasonal town. I've only had one full time job in which I knew my boss and coworkers personally so it was easier to deal with, and a couple other short jobs that I want too nervous about. I've always worked in dishwashing/custodian type jobs.

This time is different. I was hired to be a grocery store cashier in a brand new environment with people I don't know, I start tomorrow and I'm so scared.. more scared than I've ever felt about having a job. I have GAD, but very little social anxiety so I don't really know what the problem is!

I think I'm just really scared that I'm going to screw up, not be able to keep up, get fired, then my boyfriend will break up with me because I can't even keep a minimum wage job, then my parents and everyone I know will hate me. I've told my boyfriend about this terrifying fear I have and he just tells me I'm working myself up and there's no way that I could screw the job up that badly in the first place, and even if I somehow did of course he'd be disappointed but he'd never leave me. I believe him but for some reason I'm just being crushed by the weight of living up to the expectations of everyone in my life and I feel like I'm horribly doomed for failure and I hate it.

I, too, had extreme anxiety when I had to work a register. Dealing with people can be extremely difficult sometimes, but there are decent folks out there that won't be rude or impatient. Just take it one step at a time. When I did that job my register was off (by less than a dollar) twice in the two years I worked there. They said something but they did not fire me. These days it should be easier since a lot of people use bank cards, so you don't have to make change for every transaction like I did. Just remember, when confronted by an unfriendly customer, breathe deeply. The best response is to smile and nod in my experience. If you give it a chance, you might find out it's not so bad.
    Best of luck to you in your new job!