Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lightbulb Hello from Persephonie

Greetings!

I am new to the forum (to any forum in fact). I've thought about joining one for some time and here I am!

I suffer mostly with anxiety and bouts of depression. I've been "a worrier" for as long as I can remember including in childhood. I unfortunately thought this is just how I was and never thought of seeking help.
    Fast forward quite a few years later and a breakdown of a major relationship (I would say mostly due to the anxiety) was a turning point for me. I hit rock bottom but also realised I didn't want to carry on like I was.
    I have had CBT and medication and have also worked on trying to change things in my life and my perspective. It's still hard sometimes still but I am much more aware of my feelings. I feel sad I went so long without realising I could do something about how I felt.
    I am here both for support and to give it. Also to practice talking about my feelings, which I do find hard. I however, find it easy to worry about many different and sometimes comical things! (But not at the time).
    My Dad is now going through depression which is harder I think knowing how it feels when you just want to make it better.

So Hello! Thanks for reading.

Welcome!
    And nice name, by the way. Is this your real one?

Quote Originally Posted by Persephonie View Post
    Greetings!

I am new to the forum (to any forum in fact). I've thought about joining one for some time and here I am!

I suffer mostly with anxiety and bouts of depression. I've been "a worrier" for as long as I can remember including in childhood. I unfortunately thought this is just how I was and never thought of seeking help.
    Fast forward quite a few years later and a breakdown of a major relationship (I would say mostly due to the anxiety) was a turning point for me. I hit rock bottom but also realised I didn't want to carry on like I was.
    I have had CBT and medication and have also worked on trying to change things in my life and my perspective. It's still hard sometimes still but I am much more aware of my feelings. I feel sad I went so long without realising I could do something about how I felt.
    I am here both for support and to give it. Also to practice talking about my feelings, which I do find hard. I however, find it easy to worry about many different and sometimes comical things! (But not at the time).
    My Dad is now going through depression which is harder I think knowing how it feels when you just want to make it better.

So Hello! Thanks for reading.

Hey! Welcome!

I just recently joined too. I have very similar symptoms to yours, anxiety and depression here and there... My mom struggled with it for long years and were on medication for more than a decade (she slowly lowered her dosage and finally stopped taking it). I inherited her thinking and mindset I guess. I have never been on medication though, I have been dealing with it herbal supplements, reading and meditation (started just recently and meditation helps me the most I think). Many people swear by physical activity... I should do that too... I am just not consistent with working out...haha.

What helped you besides medication?

Hi Persephonie and welcome

Nice choice of user name (I see Pixie said the same thing!) The mythological Persephone is pretty meaningful to me - I've spent a lot of time in the Underworld.

Hope to see you around..
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Thanks guys!

Sadly it's not my real name. I am hugely into mythology and my real name does rhyme with this though!
    I am not sure where my anxiety came from since none of my family suffered with this as I was growing up.
    I've only had medication for short periods where I really felt I needed an extra hand.
    I do find trying to meditate helps. I love to read and play PS4 so these are good distractions.
    I am trying to get back into a proper exercise routine too as I feel much better for it.
    I have a very busy job and it's important for me to keep in touch with friends and family or I can feel a little isolated.