Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you tackle fear of fear, and fear of not sleeping

The root cause of my anxiety is fear of fear itself. This is hard especially when I am experiencing health issues (Lupus etc), and start fearing anything that might trigger the anxiety cycle. Any advice please?
    Thanks in advance
    Barbara

Meditate. Maybe get some medication if you feel it will help. Music is a godsend.

I truly have not slept well since the 1990s. Sleeping pills are only a temporary band-aid.

Agreed - Meditation along with white noise has done wonders for me. For instance: I have an ionizer going at all times for really just that purpose.

Thank you Zaykay and Salvator for your advice. The idea of white noise sounds effective. Salvator sleeping pills really are a band-aid..do they work? How many hours zzzz do you manage on average. hope you are both doing well

Hi there

This is my 3rd attempt at post so I hope you find useeul

listen to free recordings of Claire Weekes talking about fear of fear

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression....uk/relax.html

Then read The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris

Worry about sleep is just worry. You can survive without sleep. Dont compare with other people.

The medication Quetiapine will knock you out on a low dose and is non addibtive

Thanks Boo Bass. I love Claire Weekes. What sort of drug is Quetiapine?

Its anti psychotic but a side effect is drowsiness. I take for anxiety induced sleep disorder. Im in jail

Quetiapine will sure knock you out, although after a while it made my anxiety worse and gave me heart palpitations. Plus I put on a heap of weight.

I've had insomnia pretty much my whole life on and off.. The "on and off" side of it is really relevant I've come to realise. It seems to have phases which are hard to predict. I think it's the author of the DARE book, Barry McDonagh, who says he's learned to see bedtime as a chance to rest and *maybe* sleep, but it's not a huge drama if he doesn't sleep or takes a while to fall asleep. I know how frustrating and stressful it can be when you're going through a period of insomnia but as I say, they always end.

I've got Mogadon (medium-acting benzos) which I try not to resort to too much. I've also got these supplements by Swisse called "Relax and Sleep" which have Hops, Passionflower, Lemon Balm and Magnesium in them. I'm not sure if they do anything (and they sure aren't cheap) but I think anything that helps the nervous system is a good idea when you have anxiety disorder.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Thanks Gypsy Lee and Boo Bass. I am at odds at the moment re meds as I have quite a few serious medical issues too. I suppose I fear any side effects, or worse them not working at all. I am on low dose lexapro right now on top of meds for heart/lung issues and lupus.

If you like Claire Weekes you'd probably find The DARE Response helpful. I bought the audiobook (which is read by the author) and got quite a lot out of it. He talks about the fear of fear and how that is the root of anxiety disorders.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer