Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how do you cope with anxiety in different situations

Hi everyone. I wanted to know what everyone else is doing to cope with anxietyt when they are in those anxiety provoking situations such as the following:

supermarkets
    meeting strangers
    public speaking
    meeting people in authority.

Speaking for myself, I do several things to when I'm in crowded supermarkets.I sometimes carry rubberband around my wrist, then pull on it to distract myself. Other times, I'll carry my car keys in my hand then twirl them around.,
    Always,
    James

[b]My Other Sites[/b]:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

what I do

When I'm at work, I always act like I'm busy even though I'm not to avoid small talk. If I really get panicked, I go to the break room and hang out there to be alone for a bit. I don't think this is a good way to cope with the disorder.

just try to focus on happy thoughts..its sooo difficult, but we can get through this crap ...
    "Life is what you make it"

hi there. how i cope with my anxiety especially when i am driving is hearing some music. i forget what i am feeling and by the time i get home i am feeling a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by anangel4me
    hi there. how i cope with my anxiety especially when i am driving is hearing some music. i forget what i am feeling and by the time i get home i am feeling a lot better.
    ooh, thats a good one - I totally love doing that in the car, blasting music hehe. It really does help having that distraction

thanks shoe, listening to music really helps. one day i went to the store and on a rack by the register there was this small book about anxiety and in that book was an article about music, how it really helps. i thought that was weird because i had been doing that even before i saw this book. weird huh.....

I've found that with certain books, things I kinda already know in the back of my head but don't really follow through with sometimes show up and I have that 'oh, yeah!' moment hehe. sometimes we just need to be reminded we already have some coping skills

Wow, you know, I've never really sat down and thought about what I do in these situations. I know when I'm in the car and I feel my heart start to race and my palms get all sweaty and my arms and legs start to feel like rubber that I turn on classical music. So, yes, I would have to agree that music is really good.

Also, if I'm in the supermarket, almost always have anxiety while there, I will find myself either leaning totally on my husband or I'll be saying scriptures in the back of my mind. I also sing in my head when I can concentrate enough to do that.

I make a conscience effort NOT to look stressed because the last thing I need is someone to think that I'm going to try and steal something or something along those lines and come over and question me on why I look so nervous. lol Yes, that is one of the things I'm worried about when in a store. :roll:

Cath
    "Practice makes perfect so be careful what you practice."

O.k., I was out yesterday at the store with hubby and I noticed as I was walking down the aisle that I was rubbing the tips of my thumb and middle finger together on my right hand. I've noticed that I've been doing that alot lately, so I guess that is another way I cope with my anxiety. It keeps me fingers busy.

Another thing that just in about the last year I've noticed that I've been doing is when I'm feeling stressed or like I'm starting to panic I'll start rocking back and forth just ever so slightly. Not like I'm sitting in a rocking chair or anything like that just a barely noticeable movement, but it is soothing.

Anyway, those are two more ways I cope with my anxiety.

Cath
    "Practice makes perfect so be careful what you practice."

I am not sure How to handle it either becaues I even get social phobias around my own family. does anyonel else experience that :?:
    I hope life has more meaning then what it means right now.