Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbal pills

valerian is a mild dissociative and sedative. Valerian does help with anxiety. You have to make sure you buy a good brand, one that has to be refrigerated, and may contain both the herb itself and extracts (more potent).
    You cannot get good results from valerian or saint john's wort while you take SSRI antidepressants, benzos, or tricyclic antidepressants (maybe other meds too) and it can actually mess up your absorption of both the herb and the chems.

I recently tried using skullcap. Its a dissociative and a sedative, much like valerian and st john's wort, but I always keep in mind that it is one of the main ingredients in Absinthe and is so strong it can kill small animals in its raw form, so it may have other psychological/physical properties, such as hallucinatory properties perhaps, or what people describe as "euphoria"

It has been really helpful in managing my night terrors, night sweats, and "bad wake-ups"- sleep drunkenness and morning irritability and anxiety. This is in comparison to taking Doxepin, which is an old tricyclic anti-depressant that I was taking a lower and lower dose of over the years, last week on my dose for a few years which was the same as Silenor, a commonly prescribed sleep medication now.

Skull cap doesn't really make me feel tired, but if I'm lying in bed in the dark, it is possible to fall asleep. I do feel the dissociative effects. A certain seperation from reality.

I find herbal pills are good if you're suffering low anxiety, not a panic disorder