Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbal pills

Herbal pills

Hello everybody!
    Has anybody tried herbal pills for anxiety? I don't want to take benzos again, I had in the past and got addicted, I developed a tolerance. Plus now I'm seeing a psychologist, not a psychiatrist... I tried some pills with natural extracts, which worked better than I thought, but they didn't do what I wanted them to do. Instead of making me less anxious, they made me very sleepy. I was still anxious but I could sleep right away. Is there any natural thing I could take that reduces anxiety without putting you to sleep?

Dixie Pixie...maybe you could speak to a herbalist or Naturopath? Double teabag chamomile tea as suggested by panic cured in another thread is pretty good too. 5-htp , kava kava, ans st John's wort. Read a stickie by Panic Cured on supplements etc he used. Might help.

Absolutely - however you will need to read and read ... then test for yourself. Also don't believe everything you read and or are told. Having a reasonably chemically "clean" and active body is key to successfully going the herbal route.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

I would consult with a natural pharmacist or physician who can give you guidance.

Hi Dizzy, I have a little more time to post now. I agree that seeing a professional in alternative medicines is a good idea, however if like me your unable to afford such services; don't be afraid to educate and practice on yourself. Starting our small and listening to your body can at times have you end up healing yourself better than the array of healthy professionals currently on today's market. In that regard there are traps on both sides of the fence.

For all the great healing properties many herbs are acclaimed, it bears keeping in mind that they can just as easily make us sick if not ventured into with great care and respect. Like many medicines (many of which are derived from plants) herbs can come with as many side effects.

Source out multiple links that are for and against. Keep an open mind to discern the less risky and or safest way to start off. Don't subscribe to any one way, claim, reports, articles, findings, clubs, secrets and so on. Google is as much a Nightmare as it's a Godsend when it comes to judging what it good and bad for us. Also remember what may be good for one person need not be good for another. Sometimes what heals one person can indeed indeed kill another. lol - bit of an extreme point there but is true enough. I given a little example in the next link I just pulled up where I questioned one claim and or the context in which it presents given "my" previous insights and own experiment.

Here is one link from a quick google search:
    Natural Remedies for Anxiety and Stress:

Quote from above link - "Native Americans reportedly ate raw onions to induce sleep. (They also used a variety of herbal syrups and poultices, but they’re a bit too complicated for most of us today.)"

Onions like garlic are from the pungent family. Typically in large doses and or consumption over a long period of time can build up residual traces that negatively effect our bodies. (more to the point → MY BODY as for me is a known fact) I only highlight this latter claim as one variable among many; that may benefit in further investigation through source additional links. ie: Onion Toxicity

NOW - srry to go on with all this and what's it got to do with your question? I'm just saying if you go about it the right way - despite the array of conflicting information on the internet ... One does not necessarily have to see a so called professional. Imo I have possibly learned more what works for me than say 10 to 20 visits to a Natropath over multiple weeks/months totaling in excess of thousands that I've never had. Although if I had the money, I would for sure go visit one or even two.

You might say I'm trying to encourage how to use the internet when searching for yourself and above all - the only real way to know for sure is to make the safest choice you possibly can (discarding the hype and remaining open to the pros and cons) and test the products out for yourself.

Learning how food is used as medicine and then relating that to pills is an excellent way to find a path that best suits you. Some pills can't compete when it comes to food, however in other instances pills are the better choice for those who struggle with an inability to digest. Yet another variable - one of many that counters one claim against another and yadda yadda. The good news is that Food - Plant Food - Bio-photons in their purest form minus all the pesticide (lol and cry) can be processed into pills that yield great results and are much safer compared to synthesized mind bending drugs!

I'm not sure I've made any points ... although for me I know I have. I mostly take all my meds in the form of food. I don't even have a gall bladder to effectively digest BUT due to researching in the manner I described above; I've been able to avoid taking tablet that many professional claim I must take for the rest of my life. I won't say the latter claim is BS because if I were to eat Hamburgers, Pizzas, Cheese Rolls and so on - then YEA! ... that would be true. Thankfully I no longer discern information based on certifications, accreditation,testimonials, & above all; white coats. LOL at the latter - my own in joke.

DUDE or DUDET - INDEED You Can for sure go the way of using herbs! May I suggest researching the benefits of using powdered forms. I treat my spirulina powder like a pill of sorts. 3 grams in a smoothy does that trick for me. Again - pros and cons to the way we each choose.

I'm still looking for a book that sounds like this. How to get the most of alternative medicine. Nope ... still no good hits in google for that one. Perhaps we should just write our own books.

At the end of the day a pill is still - just a pill. Nonetheless I believe they work much better when we are in as good as shape as we can be. Given the state of our food these days and all variables that impact our health - I know I'm reaping heaps of benefits from things like herbal teas, aromatherapy and when I am really doing it hard with my anxiety ... I'm pleased to say that taking Valerian Root - PILLS do wonders for me!!! (like all else there's an education in the taking of that as well)

Sadly I have had friends that tell my Valerian Root does "fuck all" for them. The thing is though - One of us is more passionate than the other when it comes to learning how to get the most out of such things

Alas .. this is why I often say - "There are no chemical solutions to lifestyle related problems other than that which we create for ourselves!" So it is that I enjoy creating my own pills ... albeit that my ingredients require a big spoon.

I DON'T REALLY KNOW ... Just saying is all.

All the best with whatever route you take ... that also goes for those reaping the benefits from synthetic meds. If it makes life more bearable than the alternative, thens more the power to you. Living in pain sucks. I know that much.
    Last edited by Ponder; 03-20-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Their is a large holistic health center here in Baltimore headed up by a natural pharmacist. I buy some of my products here also and I have no financial interest in the center. The website is expertnutrition.com. It is an excellent source of information and you should be able to talk to or email the pharmacist about your health needs and concerns and what products should help you. The talk with the pharmacist is FREE. If you email him, it may take a while for him to get back to you as they are extremely busy their and you may have to email him again.

I'm not knowledgeable about herbal pills, but I also found that benzos are not for me either, Dizzy Pixie.

My therapist told me about valerian root... anything on that??

Quote Originally Posted by Maleymo View Post
    My therapist told me about valerian root... anything on that??
    Valerian root is primarily for sleep disorders/ insomnia, but it has a certain degree of effectiveness in anxiety apparently.

Purely subjective but valerian root works well for me. Mostly for restless night. Only an aid and not a crutch. Just every now and then. When I am not eating clean it is less effective.Need quality product and a high enough dose. The more you use the less effective it becomes. I usually only use one night only but can get up to 3 consecutive when not over using.
    Last edited by Ponder; 10-25-2017 at 08:34 PM.