Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My ex got right into the whole supplement thing - to the point he was mixing these powders like some mad scientist (he is pretty smart) and he never came up with any sure-fire answer to anxiety/depression. He also used to grow all sorts of ethnobotanicals.

I think they can help but will never be as effective as pharmaceuticals like benzos. I take some myself but yeah at the end of the day if my anxiety is bad I'd much rather a Mogadon (medium-acting benzo) or some oxycodone.

Alcohol actually trumps EVERYTHING in terms of its (immediate) anti-depressant effect but its depressive effect, when it wears off, also trumps everything.

P.S. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or wanting to start arguments I think it's great if something like L-Theanine helps. I'm just saying I've seen someone take the supplement thing to the extreme and he never found the perfect remedy for anxiety/depression.
    Last edited by gypsylee; 02-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I used to work with a girl who used L-Theanine and it worked for her.

Certainly supplements will not work for everyone. But it's worth a shot. I would love to be able to come off Xanax for good, but I don't really see that happening.
    The L-theanine really helps me during the day when I'm working and not able to take the Xanax. It's such an easy and cheap thing to try with zero side affects.

Basically.. my GP cut me off of benzodiazepines altogether. First I was cut off Xanax several years ago and switched to 5MG Valium in place of that, then BAM...cut off altogether (even though I was not abusing them at all). I would have to see a psychiatrist again if I'm going to get a script again. I think he briefly switched me to Valium because he knew it would be a safe way to taper and eventually jump off. You can get off Xanax if you want to; I did without major trouble and I'm sure the Valium was helpful. Unfortunately, the 'Ashton Method' requires a large supply of Valium to taper off Xanax and not feel anything - Valium has a very long half-life and even 5MG would stay in the body long enough to where you shouldn't suffer. While in the hospital I was given Valium again, boom-shaka-laka, I was feeling no anxiety at all and clear headed and truly relaxed and calm again. Yes, I do miss it

That being said.. I'm also searching for natural supplements now for anxiety and also muscle relaxation in hopes to not have to beg for benzos again. I'm not going to give up on L-Theanine totally and will still search for other supplements for this same reason. As you say, its not a major investment so what can it hurt! Unfortunately, its not as simple as taking a GABA supplement because GABA won't cross the 'blood-brain-barrier' to my understanding.

Slightly off topic:

Anybody know just how long it takes for GABA receptors to return to normal functioning? I'm reading conflicted information on the net and I'm reading it can take years for this to happen. There has to be something else naturally to aid in this process. I'm also wondering if there is something that can be done to naturally to increase GABA even without any supplement (food - excersize - meditation). I'm still trying to research and understand GABA and how it works myself.
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-08-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Ugh yeah doctors can be harsh with benzos. Here in Australia the laws on GPs are really strict (while the alcohol lobby has free reign and a lot of power *cough*) so most are really wary about prescribing them. The laws on psychiatrists are less strict so that's where I get them. He does keep track of them though so I can't go stupid. Basically I've managed to set myself up with a GP and shrink who I get along with really well, and who realise that if I'm left stranded with nothing to take the edge off my anxiety it's likely I'll end up drinking. I mean I can go to the store and buy a bottle of scotch with no questions asked and there are bottle shops EVERYWHERE here.. Supermarkets have literally converted into bottle shops and you don't even have to get out of the car! So benzos and opiates really are harm minimalisation for me and my doctors get that (and even congratulate me on staying sober from alcohol).

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    So benzos and opiates really are harm minimalisation for me and my doctors get that (and even congratulate me on staying sober from alcohol).

).
    I totally understand that Gypsy!

At some point again, hopefully when I see my GP in March, I'll tell him everything I'm going through. Usually I brush off my issues and 'down-play' them and I'm not really sure why, but he does want me to see a shrink as well; and I should. I think then I'll be able to get on the proper meds so I can function (and yes, stay sober).

Have been completely sober for almost a full month, I feel like a new man, and I wasn't aware of just how destructive the alcohol was until being away from it. So I completely agree with you, I think staying away from the alcohol as much as possible should the be the top priority AT ALL COST!

It's not so much in your face here, the grocery stores keep the booze in the back of the store. However, for me, I would go only to the liquor store anyway; so I avoid those places now to avoid any triggers.

Yes, its quite ironic that its a fight to ask for a legal medication at a prescribed (and tracked) dosage so as we can live a better quality of life, rather buying booze is both easy and socially accepted when its the most destructive to our health and sanity - I just don't get it?!
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-09-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Add Quote

I received my Sundown Naturals L-Theanine Formula today in the mail, I will be trying it over the next few days and will report my experience here. I had no luck at all with the Spring Valley L-Theanine even after taking it up to 400MG. Maybe another brand (I've been wanting to try Lemon Balm). Plus, this includes the following:

[Serving 2 Capsules]

Per 1 Capsule:
    ----L-Theanine 200MG
    ----Chamomile Flower
    ----Lemon Balm
    ----Lavender Extract
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-13-2017 at 05:36 PM.

There's this one supermarket I stop at sometimes on the way to Mum's to buy some Coke Zero. They've moved the fridge now (or put alcohol in it I think) but for a long time it was pretty much IN the alcohol section. What's worse is, a bottle of beer is cheaper than a bottle of Coke!

A GP actually pointed the price thing out to me and told me how powerful the alcohol lobby is in Australia. It wasn't even my usual GP either, it was a much more conservative one. I asked her if she sees many people in my pedicament (alcoholics trying to stay sober) and she said yes. Meanwhile, cigarettes are literally covered in horrible warnings and hidden in these filing cabinets at the supermarket. Buying those feels like some seedy drug deal lol. They also have 70% tax on them so cost a small fortune. Of course smoking is bad, but at least it doesn't cause domestic violence and car accidents.

Ok that's my rant The double standards in this country between alcohol and smoking (and prescription medication) laws are one of my biggest peeves.

I've bought more supplements and have quite a collection now. I really can't say if they're helping.

I also went to the chemist yesterday to have a script filled and asked the guy if they sell anything over-the-counter for nausea, which I've been having on and off and suspect is hormonal. He gave me these travel sickness tablets (Travacalm) and I took the recommended dose of two. About an hour later I felt a bit weird and so I googled them and it said they're used recreationally as a deliriant! I was glad I only took a small amount. I felt pretty normal after a while but I think they knocked me out a bit because I slept for 10 hours.
    Last edited by gypsylee; 02-13-2017 at 08:09 PM.

I'm not sure this made me calmer, but it definitely makes me sleepy. 30 minutes after taking a tablet, and I can barely keep my eyes open. It feels like natural sleep, and not alcohol/pain pill sleep. So it works well for that

Everyone has to find what works best for them through trial and error.