Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Following My Dream

In less than 2 months I have my first ever art exhibition. The gallery near where i grew up liked my artwork so much they've given me half of their gallery to launch a 3 month long solo exhibition of my work.

I'm sure many people here know only too well that a wild imagination can be wonderful when it comes to creativity, whether it's art or music or writing etc. But when it comes to fears and worries our imagination can be our own worst enemey and fan the flames of anxiety.

I feel this is my first step in following my dream of becoming a full time artist. To be able to do what I love each day and make money from sharing my art with the world is what I want to do with my life.

Here's a link to my art page

https://www.facebook.com/ArtByEdFoulds/

Next month i'm setting up my own website and sinking a fair bit of money into getting limited edition signed and framed prints of all my work made up.

The plan for the weeks just before my exhibition is to make a flyer and print several thousand copies and drive to nearby villages and towns and spend a few days posting it through people's letterboxes.

Following a dream is a rollercoaster. There's highs and lows and the worst aprehension and hesitation before even undertaking what it is you know deep down you want to do and who you want to be. Those "what if's" that can drive our mind round in vicious circles with anxious thoughts work overtime when it involved taking steps to drastically alter your entire life. But it's worth taking the plunge.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

You're right that following a dream is a roller coaster. I admire your courage and wish you the best of luck on your exhibition!

Ed, I think your work is awesome. I gave your page a like to show a little support.

What was your inspiration for the mushroom picture? It's got a psychedelic feel to it.

These first few uploads of drawings were from years ago back when I spent about 2 years solid drawing all the time. I churned out a lot of work. At that time I had experimented with different substances a handful of times. Mostly had pleasant experiences but I knew it was never going to be a long term habit. Unlike weed which I wasted nearly 6 years smoking.

After I started getting panic attacks and daily aches and pains I quit smoking, but I also stopped drawing. There was nearly a 5 year lapse in my art. I left my best picture at the time half finished. Half a page full of black and white outlines. It wasn't until years later I finished the outline. It took some doing as I feared ruining the piece. There was yet another lapse in drawing and I didn't actually finish said picture until last year. It took over 5 years to complete.

After i started my new job and started overcoming my anxiety and fears I started drawing once again. I had a 9 month period where I drew more than I'd ever done before.

Then, I went to the local gallery near where my parents live and I showed them my work. They were so impressed with it they offered me a 3 month solo exhibition. I was surprised as they said that not much of the work might sell due to the usual customers they get at the gallery. I was rather taken aback they'd give me so much gallery space if that were the case.

I feel like it's the first step towards getting where I want to be.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

I'm glad you are productive again