Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Terrified of the positives......

I'm sure someone has posted on this topic in the past. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to write about it as well.

Whenever something positive occurs in my life, I can never bring myself to simply enjoy it for what it is....I am instantly suspicious. I feel almost as though the universe is getting ready to throw me a spiked curve ball, but first it has to get me to lower my guard a bit so as to injure me to the fullest degree. Hence the positives. A laugh here and there, kind words, smiles. These things seem like bait to me, as stupid as that sounds.

Anyone else feel this way?

Sometimes. Worry can overwhelm joy, even when faced with something that's undeniably good. Some of us always see the end of everything. I try and focus on the good of a particular positive moment, but I know that everything crumbles and falls apart eventually. I struggle to simply enjoy the good things if at all possible and temporarily set my worries aside if I can.

I know exactly how you feel . I am the same way, I can't let myself enjoy anything because of that nagging feeling in the back of my head that something is going to take this joy away from me . I hate that feeling so much , I am 56 and I have felt that way my whole life. I so wish I could master that feeling . would love to be able to enjoy some happiness before I leave this earth .

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't feel so alone now.

That is me 100%

I feel the exact same thing.... only that when I feel many positive things happen in my life I feel like something bad is going to eventually come along to balance things out. I have a great job, just had a baby, have a wonderful loving family and life couldn't be better but ever since the baby I have been having personal health issues that I think stemmed upon all those good things happening and now these things had to come along and cause all this stress in my life because too many good things is almost too good to be true. You're not alone in feeling this way.

Yes. I have very sharp high and low periods. Many friends have asked if I'm bi-polar but as far as I can tell I'm not. I just have mood swings. The highs are great but the lows that follow almost make me not want to experience them. Sometimes I'm content to be like Pink Floyd, "Comfortably Numb". Not high, not low, just nice and average.