Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Panic 468x60
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking that people are looking at me caused my social anxiety

Every since i was 9 i always had a problem with people looking at me. In 5th grade i noticed that whenever i went to school i would start sweating under my armpits, i didn't know what was wrong with me and my parents just said it was puberty. Once i entered middle school i noticed how shy i was and how much i used to sweat and i also started to have panic attacks and then i realized that i had anxiety. Fast forward to high school.. I still sweat and have heart palpitations whenever i go to public places (especially if i have to talk to people) I honestly don't know why it's happening since i came out of my shell, and i have a lot of friends. Is there any way i can overcome social anxiety? Since i still have that "Everyone is looking at me/judging me" mentality in my brain?

If you have been diagnosed with it, then its really hard t overcome it:

1) think positive
    2) build up self esteem
    3) dont think
    Well at least these are a few things we will work on! Trying it here an
    then and i can say its imposible, at least in my situation.

GL Marc
    Stay strong there's nothing wrong.

Golfgirl, my self esteem is better than it used to be, and that's why I'm less concerned about what others think of me.

The reason I mention this is that you can do the same. You can improve your self esteem, which I think will lower your anxieties about others watching you.

It won't happen overnight. But by feeling better about yourself, you won't care as much about others watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by golfgurl143 View Post
    Every since i was 9 i always had a problem with people looking at me. In 5th grade i noticed that whenever i went to school i would start sweating under my armpits, i didn't know what was wrong with me and my parents just said it was puberty. Once i entered middle school i noticed how shy i was and how much i used to sweat and i also started to have panic attacks and then i realized that i had anxiety. Fast forward to high school.. I still sweat and have heart palpitations whenever i go to public places (especially if i have to talk to people) I honestly don't know why it's happening since i came out of my shell, and i have a lot of friends. Is there any way i can overcome social anxiety? Since i still have that "Everyone is looking at me/judging me" mentality in my brain?
    You need to build yourself up from the inside. Even if everyone actually IS judging (which they're not) then so what? You need to detach yourself from that feeling. Let them judge if that makes them happy. In reality everyone is so self absorbed with how THEY come across. I read the following somewhere:

Up until your thirties you're worried what people think of you. Then when you reach your forties you stop giving a shit what people think. And when you reach your sixties you realize that no one was thinking about you in the first place. Everyone is just obsessed with themselves!
    Last edited by Spider666; 01-30-2017 at 01:57 AM.

I agree with Spider666.

Hello, I actually struggle through the same thing.

I was just wondering what goes through your head when other people are looking at you?

Is there something you don't like about yourself?

Because there are things i am unhappy with about myself and these are the reasons why i get so nervous when people are looking at me.

When you get to my age, you pretty much could care less what others think about you.

An important question was raised above: is there something you don't like about yourself? If you're assuming people are thinking negatively about you when they look at you, work on thinking more positively about yourself when you look at you. Mind reading is an EXTREMELY easy habit to fall into when you have social anxiety. Believe me - I know. However, if you try to focus more on what's good about yourself (and I bet there are more positive qualities there than you give yourself credit for), your mind won't go to a negative place so easily when others are looking at you.

I struggle with this with every encounter I have with anyone, be it in my house, in class or on the street. Even though I have a extreme problem with it still and I made an account for this reason and others. I found that focusing on my breathing helps. A few days ago I found an amazing TED talk that explains the power of controlled breathing and how it switches the fight/flight response to a rest/digest, which lowers anxiety and returns you to a more normal state. I don't have enough points to link it but the TED talk is called Breathe to Heal by Max Strom.
    Also I read something on a forum the other days which helped my paranoia of people judging me, is that whenever those feeling happen, to just watch them like your watching a movie. Mindful meditation helps too.

No one is perfect as we are all human.