Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Possible agoraphobia?

Hi guys, first post here. I had my first panic at age 13 and I've had it ever since off and on usually seasonal. Seems like every other winter I have a spell of strong anxiety for a month or so and then it's gone til the next time. Even when I'm not suffering from anxiety directly, it still is in the back of my mind at all times. 4 years ago, (I was 18 I'm 22 now) I started having panic attacks when driving and so I stopped traveling as far from the house. And now it's to the point where I live in a 5 mile radius. The 5 mile radius is comfortable to me. I hold down a job and make money and seem to be a functioning adult. But I know that I can't go any further without being anxious. On rare occasion I break the 5 mile radius and go maybe 8 or 10 miles but it's hard on me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get over this and not be scared anymore. I would kill to be "normal" again.

Thanks for any input guys

Hi and welcome!

Sorry nobody has replied yet - if you post on the General Discussion board or the Welcome board you usually get more replies.

At least you can hold down a job.. That in itself is an achievement when you have anxiety issues. The way to overcome this is to take "baby steps" outside your comfort zone and prove to yourself that nothing bad will happen. Some people can't even leave their house with agoraphobia, so you shouldn't feel ashamed about your situation.

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Hi,
    I'm 31 with agoraphobia, and my zone is limited to my neighbor's yard. It sounds small, but I can see my progression. A few months ago, my zone was half that size. A few months before that, I couldn't walk more than a few feet from my front door.

Take small steps of exposure, going 6, 8, or 10 miles on a regular basis instead of a rare occasion. Your body and brain have to make new memories/emotions about it being okay to go that far. Here are the tips that sort of work for me:

Take different routes than what you're used to, and cover the meter so you can't watch the mileage tick by. Find an object/building up ahead, and say you're going to drive just to it. Once there, turn around if you want. Or, if you're feeling good, pick another spot up ahead and say you're going to just drive to it.

Make driving a fun experience. Play music, listen to a book on tape, talk to a friend on your cell phone...some kind of distraction from the anxiety.

Get to the edge of your comfort zone and drive in circles around that area -- partly in and partly out of your zone -- until you're bored. It's hard to be anxious and bored at the same time.

Fully relax before getting in the car. Drink herbal tea, meditate, exercise, get a massage -- whatever works for you.

Implement healthier lifestyle stuff, like eating nutritious foods, connecting with other people, etc. There's some good advice on this forum and around the web about lifestyle changes that help anxiety.

Best of luck to you!

I agree with BlessedBackyard.