Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: scared

scared

hello! i just wanted to rant about something real quick. . .

i'm currently in my first year of the IB (International Baccalaureate) program. so far, i've been doing really well! even better than last year because my courses are quite easy and my grades have been really high. the thing is, though, i'm worried about one single course and that is the IB Visual Art course. to be quite honest with you, i don't really know what to pursue in my future. i adore writing and english and i love art, hence why Literature and Art are my high-levels. i'm definitely not scientific or anything. thing is, i started taking art classes during the summer and i've actually progressed a lot! i'm not amazing at it, but it's something i love and it's something i want to continue learning. art may not be what i pursue in the future but i'd still like to carry it on. however, i'm so worried about it. i have my exhibition next year and i'm gripped with fear from now. i have to present about 8-11 works and i am petrified because i feel like i'm going to suck at it and my art won't be great and i'll be left humiliated and devastated. i'm working on my first project now and there are so many things i hate about it. . .i feel like it's just not right. i also can't help but compare myself to my other art peers, who will do so well and i'll be the only one who'll fail.

sorry for the pessimism! i can't help it sometimes.

That's great you've been doing well so far! I wish my school had offered IB art. I was a floundering college art student with no direction...just an enjoyment for art.
    The great thing is, you don't have to know what you want to do with your future. A background in art can help in so many different areas. I was a cake decorator for a few years, and those art lessons really helped. But it also contributes to creativity, thinking "outside the box," and problem-solving skills -- all of which are beneficial in almost any career. I think we all need creative outlets, whether we're good at them or not. The process of creating usually has more benefits to us than the finished product.

My 2 favorite things about art: 1) It's the one area where mistakes are allowed and maybe even encouraged. You don't have to follow an exact formula, and risks are good. And 2) Art is subjective. There is no one piece that everyone will love. Think of the Impressionist painters, who were mocked and told their art belonged in the trash. Art is about showing how YOU perceive the world -- your individual view. Be different from your peers. Because it's subjective, comparison is difficult. It's like holding Dali's work next to van Gogh. Can you really say what makes one better than the other...or is it just that they're different from each other and people have personal preferences?

My art teacher had us read "Art & Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. You might find it helpful, especially when it comes to comparing yourself to others.

Do you have a direction for your pieces yet? As in, do you know what mediums, theme, or subject you plan to explore?

Keep practicing. Keep creating. Don't let what you hope (and fear) to accomplish overshadow what it is you love about art.

I can understand it, I finished fine art school and I had seen much better than I was. My mates from school are famous but .............2 in 55 , so you do not have to be famous to be happy. Look at what you do, art will help you at the same time make feel the pain more. There is nothing more beautiful than people who talk through their art; paintings. graphics, pictures, music, even crafts. Yeah I got blanked just before ending the school with the poster. I had a mental block, all paintings, drawings , sculpture were done and marked except the poster. My teacher (she is such beautiful soul) noticed it , and helped me to unblock you will be just great
    Your responsibility is to be happy then you can put some attention to fame
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Glad to hear you have been doing so well! The most helpful thing I have ever done for situations like this was reading "how to stop worrying and start living" by dale carnegie.

If it is a year from now try not to think about it! Focus on doing well on what you are currently doing

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedBackyard View Post
    That's great you've been doing well so far! I wish my school had offered IB art. I was a floundering college art student with no direction...just an enjoyment for art.
    The great thing is, you don't have to know what you want to do with your future. A background in art can help in so many different areas. I was a cake decorator for a few years, and those art lessons really helped. But it also contributes to creativity, thinking "outside the box," and problem-solving skills -- all of which are beneficial in almost any career. I think we all need creative outlets, whether we're good at them or not. The process of creating usually has more benefits to us than the finished product.

My 2 favorite things about art: 1) It's the one area where mistakes are allowed and maybe even encouraged. You don't have to follow an exact formula, and risks are good. And 2) Art is subjective. There is no one piece that everyone will love. Think of the Impressionist painters, who were mocked and told their art belonged in the trash. Art is about showing how YOU perceive the world -- your individual view. Be different from your peers. Because it's subjective, comparison is difficult. It's like holding Dali's work next to van Gogh. Can you really say what makes one better than the other...or is it just that they're different from each other and people have personal preferences?

My art teacher had us read "Art & Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. You might find it helpful, especially when it comes to comparing yourself to others.

Do you have a direction for your pieces yet? As in, do you know what mediums, theme, or subject you plan to explore?

Keep practicing. Keep creating. Don't let what you hope (and fear) to accomplish overshadow what it is you love about art.
    you are definitely right about the process having more benefits than the finished product! thing is, the IB program cares more about the process and my progress! i just kinda don't want to present art that people won't be able to enjoy! and you are definitely right about art being subjective and all. . .

i plan on exploring strangers, their stories, and the beauty of not knowing. personally, i love wondering about people. it's beautiful and haunting. i want to use acrylics and pastel pencils. i'm gonna have to use more, though!

thank you for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    I can understand it, I finished fine art school and I had seen much better than I was. My mates from school are famous but .............2 in 55 , so you do not have to be famous to be happy. Look at what you do, art will help you at the same time make feel the pain more. There is nothing more beautiful than people who talk through their art; paintings. graphics, pictures, music, even crafts. Yeah I got blanked just before ending the school with the poster. I had a mental block, all paintings, drawings , sculpture were done and marked except the poster. My teacher (she is such beautiful soul) noticed it , and helped me to unblock you will be just great
    Your responsibility is to be happy then you can put some attention to fame
    oh, don't worry! i don't care about fame at all! i just can't handle the thought of failing a class i absolutely adore, you know? i can't even handle doing poorly in it. i'd be so devastated.

thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by fixmybrokenmind View Post
    Glad to hear you have been doing so well! The most helpful thing I have ever done for situations like this was reading "how to stop worrying and start living" by dale carnegie.

If it is a year from now try not to think about it! Focus on doing well on what you are currently doing
    i will be sure to look into the book you've suggested! and yeah my exhibition is at the end of the school year in 2018. i should focus on completing my work and improving rather than the exhibition itself. . .can't help it, though. /;

thank you for your reply!

Sometimes it is easier said than done forsure I know that all too well. You have two years though so don't forget to enjoy them .

that is also two years to practice so when the time comes you knock it out of the park!