Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Anxiety is ruining my life, please help me.

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I honestly don't know where else to turn. I am a 19 year old male college student and anxiety has taken over my life over the course of the past year or so. It has gotten to the point that I can rarely leave my house to go to class because just the idea of being away from my house can send me into a panic. I have not sought any professional help up to this point because quite honestly I'm embarrassed to even tell my parents let alone a stranger. I have tried exercising, meditating, and every breathing exercise in the book but nothing seems to help. Since the anxiety started I have been having awful stomach pains which have consequently been the main reason for much of my overthinking and anxiety. Please allow me to explain, the stomach pains have often resulted in diarrhea and because of this I have a fear that if i leave my house I will be in a situation where I won't be able to find a bathroom in time and I will have an "accident." As you can imagine this thought is EXTREMELY embarrassing which is why I'm hesitant to speak with anyone about my issues. As you can see the majority my anxiety comes as a result of overthinking every possible bad outcome that can happen if I leave the comfort of my home and if I let this fear manifest itself deeper in my psyche I'm afraid it will ruin my life even more so than it already has. According to most of the adults I speak with I am in the "prime of my life" and I'd really rather not waste it sitting in my room because I'm afraid of leaving my home PLEASE HELP ME.

Thank you for listening!

What do "you" want to do with your life? Forget about the expectations of society and all that garbage you were fed at school ... What do "you"want to do with your life?
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Hi and welcome

19 was when my anxiety got so debilitating I had to drop out of university and go see a psychiatrist.

Sounds like you're caught in a real vicious cycle there and I'd definitely go see a doctor about it. Do you have a regular doctor, which would make it less scary/embarrassing? You've already taken the first step by posting here - well done!

Hope to see you around,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Welcome to the forum. To help get your life back on track, it is time to seek professional help. You are only 19 and have your whole life ahead of
    you to live and enjoy. Don't let anxiety steal it from you.