Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setbacks suck!

Glad to hear you've felt improvements recently! Those giddy/happy/euphoric moments are precious, and something I certainly took for granted pre-anxiety.

I know the cycle of setbacks all too well. Things get better and then suddenly there's a nosedive, so I overthink and rehash my day/week to see what could have caused the problem...almost to the point of getting superstitious, like "this happened when I did this, so I won't do that again." But it's nearly impossible to pinpoint exactly what caused each setback. It sounds like you've made some great changes, so keep doing what you're doing, and I believe those setbacks will be fewer and farther between.

I had candy today, I had candy yesterday. I only have candy when I am feeling 100%. But after I eat it, there is always anxiety spikes and depression.

My OCD is coming down now though which is a really good thing. Tough toss up if I want depression or OCD.

This reminds me of Die Antwoord (band I'm currently obsessed with) "Come to the dark side.. We have candy!" haha
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Teafrenzy,

Hey! I'm new to this site and have been slowly recovering from a four year struggle with an anxiety disorder. I noticed you mentioned eating candy. I'm not saying "never eat candy", but I thought I'd throw something out to you that I've learned: foods high in simple sugars, such as candy, soda, sugary fruit juices, Etc can irritate a body that’s nervous system has become hyperstimulated due to excess cortisol in the bloodstream over a long period of time. Ingesting simple sugars can cause wide fluctuations in blood sugar, which can cause and aggravate a wide range of stress- and anxiety-caused sensations and symptoms.

While you are recovering, it might be a good idea to avoid the candies, for a time. I wish you nothing but the best and success as you recover!

Thanks R2R.

Yeah I normally do avoid sweets. I went through a stretch where I didn't have any for 30 days. But the past few days I just got overconfident. Plus I got my hands on delicious Lindor chocolates. Once I start up with sweets my old sweet tooth cravings come back.

So today was interesting. Woke up nervous, but not too bad. Then in the early afternoon, a wave of lightheadedness and brain fog. DAMN I WAS DOING SO WELL!!

But the night totally made up for it. I went seamless from afternoon to night. Didn't hit me at all. I didn't have a whole lot of OCD or Depression. I will take a little lightheadedness over OCD and depression any time.

Best line (or title) for a song ever: "Come to the dark side, we have candy." I love it!

One I thing I try to remember is that recovery from anxiety disorder is a process, not an event. I have found that I am usually taking two steps forward, and one step back. That's ok though as long as I am slowly but surely getting better.

I understand the brain fog. It's been my most debilitating symptom during these last four years of struggle. Some things I have learned about the brain fog that have helped in my recovery:

1) high levels of stress hormones, (caused from worry, fear, anger, frustration, and anxiety) because they are stimulants, cause an increase in electrical activity in the brain. This can cause "racing thoughts" or an increased generation in rate of thought, which can cause our attention to become more easily sidetracked.

2) stress hormones suppress the rationalization areas in our brain (the cortex) and increase the activity in the fear center of the brain (the amygdala). This combo reduces the ability to logically rationalize and process information while at the same time increases the awareness of danger, fear, apprehension, etc.

3) Acute or sustained stress can cause the suppression of the hippocampus (the learning and memory area of the brain), making it more difficult for thru brain to store and retrieve information.

4) elevated stress taxes the bodys resources harder and faster than normal, causing it to become tired more easily

These symptoms can come even when we aren't particularly feeling stressed/thinking apprehensively. That is due to an overly stressed body. Working on relaxing your body will eventually improve and eliminate these symptoms.

Keep fighting the good fight Teafrenzy. We will get there, little by little!

Hello Tea, I hope you have continued long term success with dealing with your anxiety. I am a newbie here and trying to find ways to cope with mine. I was wondering if you could explain what your "morning anxiety ritual" is, and if it may be of help to myself or other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Best line (or title) for a song ever: "Come to the dark side, we have candy." I love it!
    Hehe Die Antwoord are.. Interesting.

But seriously this candy thing is a nightmare for me. Alcohol and caffeine I can manage without but candy/sweets? I'm diabetic so have to be careful anyway but ugh.. You kind of have to weigh up the joy of sweets vs the anxiety! Why is it that everything enjoyable is bad for you?

Anyway you guys are inspiring with all this willpower!
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer