Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Psychologist for welfare health-insurance VS other psychologists

I have free welfare health-insurance called Medi-Cal which is for low income people. Will the psychologist who accept this free health-insurance not be as good as psychologist who require other health-insurances that is not for low-income people?

I think the answer is pretty much the same when talking about $$$ and generally speaking from my own experience as a welfare case, who's been privileged with a few working class paid visits - Generally YES - The amount of money a person is paid reflects the quality of work. Such is our value system.

The Good News is ... and just from my own experience (complex case that's seen psychotherapy many times over 3 decades discounting school therapists.) Psychologists tend to be an exception to the rule. I found more people in this field regardless of my impartial view - somewhat more compassionate and tolerant than the many others less willing to do Pro Bono / Low Income Work. It really does come down to why people work and the conditions under which they are subject.

The latter in the case of welfare is rather stressful and sees many of the employees (Professionals/Many of which are students at the level) inundated and overworked. It really depends on where you live, population and other variables. Low income work is also classified as charity work - this includes "subsidized work" - The training level of those taking on such work if not student is often older worn out complacent individuals - but not always ... just noting the variables and types that take on subsidized work.

What's important - is to work with what you have. Don't let the therapist do all the work. Read up on how to get more out of your therapist. Show a willingness to want to help yourself. They like that. In fact welfare workers respond well to those who clearly give them something to go with. In such cases the quality of work can outclass similar complacency within the higher paid sector. There are pros and cons to each section. Too many to list without losing track.

If you need help and can only access it with a subsidy, then just do your best to focus on your approach with whatever help you able to source. Once again - psychotherapy whilst still prone to the negative aspects of our monetary system, it is more resilient than most other services and can in many cases offer many benefit. Learn how to get the most out of your visits and take what you can get.

edit - I will also add that it's your right to chose another therapist if you do not get along with the one your working with. But remember you have to work as well. ; )

How to Get the Most out of your Therapist.
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-04-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Just to let you know..there are many psychologists (mental health professionals in general) who operate on a sliding scale. The less money you make, the less they charge you. Just explain your economic situation and nicely ask for a discount. Psychologists understand that empty hours are money they could have made..so even if they take less money, they would prefer that to nothing.

You know what? You could find a Psychiatrist that would charge $200 per session and he/she may not be as good as one who works with low income people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    I think the answer is pretty much the same when talking about $$$ and generally speaking from my own experience as a welfare case, who's been privileged with a few working class paid visits - Generally YES - The amount of money a person is paid reflects the quality of work. Such is our value system.

The Good News is ... and just from my own experience (complex case that's seen psychotherapy many times over 3 decades discounting school therapists.) Psychologists tend to be an exception to the rule. I found more people in this field regardless of my impartial view - somewhat more compassionate and tolerant than the many others less willing to do Pro Bono / Low Income Work. It really does come down to why people work and the conditions under which they are subject.

The latter in the case of welfare is rather stressful and sees many of the employees (Professionals/Many of which are students at the level) inundated and overworked. It really depends on where you live, population and other variables. Low income work is also classified as charity work - this includes "subsidized work" - The training level of those taking on such work if not student is often older worn out complacent individuals - but not always ... just noting the variables and types that take on subsidized work.

What's important - is to work with what you have. Don't let the therapist do all the work. Read up on how to get more out of your therapist. Show a willingness to want to help yourself. They like that. In fact welfare workers respond well to those who clearly give them something to go with. In such cases the quality of work can outclass similar complacency within the higher paid sector. There are pros and cons to each section. Too many to list without losing track.

If you need help and can only access it with a subsidy, then just do your best to focus on your approach with whatever help you able to source. Once again - psychotherapy whilst still prone to the negative aspects of our monetary system, it is more resilient than most other services and can in many cases offer many benefit. Learn how to get the most out of your visits and take what you can get.

edit - I will also add that it's your right to chose another therapist if you do not get along with the one your working with. But remember you have to work as well. ; )
    Great post! So are you saying most welfare therapist won't provide quality service? In that case, your statement would differentiate from what people are saying on this thread.
    Also are you saying most welfare therapist are inundated/overworked complacent individuals? Sorry, i'm just trying to gain awareness of finding right therapists that way i don't make mistakes

I pay 125 for an hour with my Psychologist. What exactly is "quality service"? I'm not sure how to tell.