Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

3 Simple Methods to Overcome Panic Attacks

I recently wrote the article below covering 3 simple methods to overcome panic attacks which you may find helpful:

Panic attacks are scary and overwhelming, they can make you feel physically ill, they can literally immobilize you on the spot and of course they can be incredibly inconvenient.

I have experienced quite a few panic attacks in the past and they always seem to happen at the worst possible times (e.g. in job interviews, on public transport, while driving, etc.). My first few panic attacks were so intense that I rushed to the hospital thinking I was about to have a heart attack, only to find out that I was experiencing very common panic attack symptoms. I wished I knew then that there are methods to stop panic attacks or reduce their severity. Years later I came across the 3 methods to overcome panic attacks which I am about to share with you. These methods are great to have on hand when you can feel a panic attack approaching. I recommend trying each method on separate occasions. All 3 methods work very well but you may find that one particular method works better for you.

Before I introduce the 3 methods to overcome anxiety to you, remember these 2 things:

• Panic attacks, as scary as they are, cannot harm you.
    • You have had them in the past and you survived them all.

“Bring It On” method

This method may sound a bit weird and unusual but it works. It is based on the principle that panic gets worse when you fight it. By applying the “Bring It On” method, you are basically turning this principle around by doing the exact opposite.

1. When the panic attack is starting, don’t resist it. Allow it to happen. Embrace it.
    2. Say to yourself “I am ready for it. Bring it on.” Repeat this a few times. Make yourself believe, that you want it to happen. Get excited about it. Even ask for it to get worse. By doing this, you are turning your fear into excitement which means you are not fighting it.

It won’t take long before you notice that the panic attack symptoms are starting to subside.

“Breathe Through It” method

When you are having a panic attack, you are hyperventilating, meaning you are breathing rapid and shallow. This can cause dizziness, light-headedness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet as well as weakness, confusion and agitation. This rapid, shallow breathing upsets the healthy balance between breathing in oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide. You are exhaling more than you inhale. This creates low levels of carbon dioxide in your blood which causes those awful physical sensations mentioned above. The “Breathe Through It” method helps to regain a healthy balance between the inbreath and the outbreath. This particular breathing technique slows down the rapid, shallow breathing that is associated with a panic attack. Practising the “Breathe Through It” method during a panic attack will stop the panic attack in its track, reducing its severity and shortening its duration.

1. Take a deep breath in and hold it for about 20 seconds or so before exhaling.
    2. The aim now is to slow your breathing rate down to about 10 seconds for a full breath. Breathe in while counting to 5 in your head and breathe out counting to 5 again. Continue doing this for the next 2 minutes.

“Distract Yourself” method

The “Distract Yourself” method is simply engaging in an activity that takes your mind off your current emotions. By redirecting your focus from the panic attack to something else, you are not worrying about or fighting the panic attack which will then stop the vicious cycle of a panic attack.
    Try distracting yourself by doing one or more of the following:

• Listen to music or watch TV
    • Engage in physical exercise: go for a walk or do some yoga exercises
    • Talk to someone: call a friend or a loved one
    • Count your breaths
    • Do some simple math: add up numbers you can see around you (e.g. licence plate numbers, digits on your phone, etc.)
    • Try to think of countries, grocery items, animals, etc. that start with the letter “A”, then “B”, “C” and so on
    • Find specific items around you: 5 green items, 5 yellow items and so on

I hope you find these 3 methods to overcome panic attacks useful.

Feel free to comment which method works best for you or add any other method/s that worked for you. The “Breathe Through It” method seems to work best for me.

All the best,

Jacqueline Brandes
    Author of “Calm Your Mind in 5 Weeks: How to Reduce Anxiety Naturally”

Thanks for sharing these Jackie
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I tried the "bring it on method" but it just didn't work for me. I also read about it and watched videos on youtube where they recommended it.
    I never got used to the symptoms. They affected my mind. They lead to disassociation (For me..The scariest of all Panic attack symptoms).

I now "force them down". Pardon the bluntness but I call it "swallowing the vommit".

Happily, I didn't have a full blown panic attack for 2 days now. 2 days ago, there were 4 times I needed to "swallow the vommit". Yesterday, not once. So far so good today, I'm crossing my fingers. I am still feeling some physical effects of anxiety though.