Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Diary

Mindful Eating

A Snapshot I took whilst out on this morning's Walk - Mindfully So:

I finished that book:

I took the liberty of linking (click on pic) to Google Play Books because of the download sample option. I buy mostly Kindle as for me it's much easier to convert into more usable formats for TTS and printing out info and guides. Here is the Kindle Link, although it does not give much insight into the book. Instead I'll share a snippet for your interest D

First of all. About the eating Once or Twice a day concept I was entertaining previously. It's evolved more into intuitive eating for me as I am coming to understand mindful eating. A Great Topic that's inspired and motivated me to take control of my eating once again. After completing the above book. (Very Quick & Easy Read - relevant info for lifestyle and not fad diets - just a few bucks as well)

I found myself sitting down to this morning's meal and implementing a number of exercises from the mindful eating book.

• I had a half a large cap of mint tea 15 minutes prior to eating.
    • Savoured the time I prepared my meal.
    • Split my modest sized meal (based on the 80/20 rule) into two small bowls - with a 5 minute break between consuming the contents of each bowl.
    • During the eating process I used my Non-Dominant hand which helped to slow me down and focus on the process of mindful eating.
    • Between each mouthful I placed cutlery back in bowl and lowered my hands.
    • I held my thoughts on each mouth full and did a body like scan inside my mouth (re Body Scan Techniques used in guided relaxation)

A little after my meal I finished the rest of my cool mint tea. I got to say that I was contentedly full - it tasted great!!! I'm looking to try this out regularly and will let you know how I go re my digestive issues as well as consumption in general.

I am looking at another two books [might go for intuitive eating ... not sure yet]

Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food

Intuitive Eating

Anyways ... I best go clean up my room. Finding a lot more to do in between meals which keeps my mind off food. You mentioned that most recently with your own doings and I find it also a great way to minimise all that excess we typically eat.

Before I leave I'll quickly insert the Mindful Eating Books Conclusion + add the useful recommended readings, Websites and FREE information!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Mindful Eating - How to Eat Less -Health Learning Series by M. Usman

Mendon Cottage Books
    JD-Biz Publishing

Download Free Books!
    http://MendonCottageBooks.com

CONCLUSION:

There is no “right” or “wrong” way of doing any mindful eating exercise. If, in spite of all the effort, you still feel that your mind is busy thinking of something else while performing these exercises, there is no need to panic.

You have still learned something useful about how mindless or unconscious eating is a part of your daily routine, and how easy it can be to gobble your food, even when you are attempting to eat mindfully.

Performing these exercises once a day will change your experience from mindless gobbling to mindful eating.

Mindfulness is just like a muscle that might be weak initially, but with regular practice, it will become strong and more readily available.

Our physical, mental, emotional, and psychological survival depends a lot on our regular intake of food, water, light, sound, and love from our environments. How well or poorly we relate to these things will determine how happy or unhappy we are in our lives. ("Forgive the interruption BUT this really stuck out to me when listening to this book - I make post about that after I clean my room and or later on" - By Ponder : ) )

Mindful eating helps us to let go of our unhealthy relationship with food and eating and replaces it with healthy alternatives. With mindful attention to our eating habits, one can break the guilt and dissatisfaction of food and begin to cultivate the pleasure and satisfaction of eating.

Remember, it’s always better to practice “Mindful eating than Mind-full eating.”

References: (I'm yet to check these out ... it's good to check out resources that you find in these little cheap books. Nuggets of info that go unseen if you're too quick and or impatteint ... this is the kind of enoucouragement we should be spuring each other on with - As I say ... "Adios, until next post. )

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/hea...feeling-hungry

Edit - I remove last two links as password required type of thing.

Author Bio
    Muhammad Usman is a distinguished medical graduate of Allama Iqbal medical college (AIMC). He is a professional writer who has been in the field for more than 4 years. During this time he has produced 10,000+ articles, blogs, and eBooks on various niches related to diseases, health, fitness, nutrition, and well-being. He is a regular contributor to several journals related to medicine and surgery. He is the editor of several journals and newspapers.

Edit ... I Just bought Intuitive Eating. It speaks more my language. Will convert to TTS and share it soon enough.
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Oh, right, not to worry.

I just found it on a philosophy blog. Sounded pretty relaxing. Reminded me there are no answers to the big questions in life, and there's no pre-set destination we have to strive towards. That we should just be.

I don't usually hear such sentiments expressed in songs.

John lennon sung something like it. Perhaps a little different; however was not long shot afterwards.

Anyways Jesse, I went out today to look what else I could include in my home gym. I picked up a cheap suspension training from K-mart. I think K-mart is like Wall Mart. Once the other one arrives I'll have 2 now so I don't have to fuss so much changing the strap lengths. Whilst there I picked up a few different types of foam rollers and also have a long one on order. I can't beleive how much I have been missing out on. I've been doing it all wrong! No wonder I have muscle imbalances and sore joints! I bought myself a medicine ball and discovered the term Plyometrics. (although like everything there is a caution to this type of training as well) I'll be going back out tomorrow to pick up another two medicine balls. I know I said I want to go the way of the minimalist and it sounds I have done the complete opposite as I actually bought more exercise/therapy gear that I won't bother listing - but the return is just how much more motivated I am and not to mention this gear is better for my brain!

I discovered that using a balance board is actually used on kids with ADHD! The principle is the same for adults as well - can help improve reading. Just goes to show how important moving is for the brain Although I just got a cheap round plastic one to start off with.

The more I have researched into Home Workouts the more I realise just how much my old school way of doing things has been hurting me. Although the medicine ball and pilates is nothing new. Just that the new research has now substantially improved the benefits of these activities.

I've been tempted to buy a small set of dumbbells but have decided against it. My wrists need a long break and the imbalance from using heavy weights in the hand hold position have places a LOT of strain on my forearms, elbows and shoulders. Just playing around with the medicine ball with open palms since getting it today has loosened up a lot of my imbalances to a good degree already. I had not realised just how out of tune my body really was/is.

I got pretty much all the gear I need now ... Just a lot of learning on psychotherapy and best routines for me. I'm not going to be put off with that gender garbage where people think one for of activity is just reserved for one sex.

This is the last of my money spent from selling all that electronic gadgetry. Lisa said she is glad that I have bought exercise equipment because the resale value is NIL and she has had enough of my buying and selling. - I have too!!! The mind body connection to most of this home exercises techniques I have been researching is definitely a hook for me. If I get a little hungry, I just grab my medicine ball and or jump on my balance board - cravings go away. I don't even have to use much weight!

Yep - I'm excited but not hungry. That there is the ticket! I expect when I get depressed that I can also do whatever 10 to 15 minutes session to help be get over it.

OK - that's enough off my chest for now. Today was a good day.

Over & Out.
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-07-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

thank for the tips
    One thing, Have a mint tea once a week cause it causes extensive bile production. You do not need it, I know your gallblader is out but your liver took the function. Now one day mint, another chamomile, then lavender, then citrus, chamomile or white or green tea, then mint. This way you are not going to overdo with herbs. i still think, at least it satisifed me; good purified water is all I need . I drink a lot between meals. Mindful whatever you do and the job will be done, This is the worst thing for me mindful eating. I told you a have a habit (all my family had) reading books while eating. I switched to smaller dish when I eat so the portions are smaller. but my shoulder is killing me............................Thank you for the tips D
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

About the Teas :)

YW D. I can't say just how much better I am digesting my food and eating way less of it since practicing what is in the Mindful Eating book.

Yea, I remember what you said about the mint tea. Although my liver took over the function of "extra" bile production, it's not suppose to be working that hard. (it's unnatural and leads to digestive problems for those without gallbladders - there are a LOT of people now complaining of just that fact on the internet; which is why stones are now removed more often before before things get to such an extreme .. . yadda yadda ... people still eat the shit and will learn the hard way no doubt ... addicts they be.) Add to this extra work, my liver has already had a very abused life from alcohol, extensive field pesticides exposure and factory paint powders that cause cancer and many other factory related poisons ... et cetera. It's not uncommon for people without gallbladders to have overworked liver and therefore take bile salts. I don't take bile salts as I am not convinced I need them (I question the salt content and or resulting constipation that ensues when I use them) when I eat clean and also eat small in accordance with good digestive practices in mind. (Mindful eating) ... Thus, It is that whilst keeping your caution very much in mind from your previous mention (I always heed your insights!) I am allowing myself mint tea more than once a week ... just nowhere near what I was doing before. I also offset it with a little raw honey + plus have it with food not long after and before my meals. That way, it's never on an empty stomach - as that variable is more the concern when thinking about rotting the gut or gut leakage or whatever the studies claims. I will research more into it, however not all claims are valid for all peoples. For the most part I take such reports as warning bells only and then see for myself. I'll restrict my intake and gauge it from there.

White Tea is actually a no no for me. The traces elements of tannins/ theophylline lead to constipation when I consume it. For me that is a fact and it takes only one cup of black and even the white tea does it to me. Is best I can say it regardless of whatever articles abound. I know that may sound crazy but there ya go ... Even the Green Tea can be rather unhealthy for those with autoimmune afflictions like my wife Lisa. Nonetheless many of these articles conflict more so because of the changing dynamics with the individuals consuming them and how they consume them. I like Pure peppermint Tea and like I said, I off set by doing this and that. Nonetheless - Since your mention of it and its related issues, I have been way more careful opting out many times for ginger and lemon ... also using fresh ingredients to make my own teas. It takes time, just like using real leaves - but even then ... it's what is in the leaves and ingredients that counts, + all those dynamics. Like the PDF I linked re theophylline levels ... drinking tea is a scientific art.

I think I will revert to more mildly warm teas with fresh herbs and the like. I do seem rather sensitive to all the trigger chemicals talked about in those articles. White tea I don't use anymore - but have always remained thankful for your mentioning of it.
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-07-2017 at 10:30 PM.

PS - I PMed you re the Book.

D. there is one drink which does wonders for digestive system, as soon as you get up a glass of water with dissolved spoon of honey, raw honey of course yeah got the pm
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I'm gonna try that Dahl.

And thanks for the book recommendation Dave. Mindful eating is something I've never tried but I think it'll deffo improve my relationship with food.

I'll look into D. My morning ritual upon waking is Lemon Juice to assist my liver and prep it for the day. It's also good after exercise to help clear out some of the lactic acid. Half Lemon in diluted 250ml of filtered water.

I thought about honey, but don't want to taint the lemon whilst using it as a liver cleanser on an empty tummy. I am however using honey during other period on an empty stomach. Thanks for bringing it up.

I've been busy reading up and editing pics from different books to make my own routines. Is going to take a few months before I know what I am doing with my new workout routine. I can tell you my abs are killing me!

PM sent Jesse