Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's Diary

Sorry D, I got side track my apologies. I get around to this later.

OK OK Jesse ... we need some form of Balanced Ego ... Please Come Back
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Morning Walk Done:

This is me taking a moment at the halfway point of my hour long walk.

"...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

What's your current exercise regime like, Dave? Is it mostly made up of walking?

Must be good for the soul out there.

Exercise, Activity & Movement.

Hey Jesse! Thanks for popping back in. Firstly a BIG thanks for helping clarify my understanding of ego! That was an awesome discussion and helped me helps. TY

OK - My Exercise Regime. Geeeeezzzz Just thinking about. Sigh. LOL

I've been trying to demilitarise it of late yet retain some form of discipline.

This morning I am tired but know I will benefit from a gentle run. I look outside to be greeted with a cooler and overcast day. What a relief ... it's been scorching hot here of late. There is however some rain in it so I might go show up at the gym and hit the treadmill. I don't like the gym anymore. I perform and feel so much better outdoors.

I've reverted to using bodyweight at home with a power twister. I do push ups with hand grips , tricep dips using the back of a chair, then a number of exercises using my power twister. That's it atm as far as upper body. I'm looking to fine tune my home exercise routine into becoming a full body workout by doing bodyweight/dumbbell/light weighted squats variants and the implementation of resistance bands. I have a spring chest expander on watch [eBay] as well as the pre mentioned resistance bands. To finish it all off I will most likely get myself a flat dumbbell bench (not bulky barbell one) that can do both decline and incline. (maybe a door way chin up bar as well)

My focus is only having enough equipment to take up a small corner of a room when not in use.

Right now I still walk a LOT and glad I have kept it that way. My biggest issue with health has been the HEAT. I have still not acclimated to the humidity and the extreme temps. Temperatures still climb from year to year. The factor in that has been taking some toll in my sleep and having an impact on cortisol levels. I am also super sensitive to Lisa's decline/ups and downs ... but gradual decline ... Still on the cards to fully set up my own room. Energy tranfesrance is a factor in my health but that's another story and off track. Srry.

Ummmm ---------- I go now as the rain is more like drizzle and I prefer to run in it than the gym. I can smell the clean air in the rain and it feels good. I have aqua buds that play some vibes that help keep me in sync ... to use buds or not ... is something else I often struggle with. Pros and cons to constantly driving the mind - motivating and whatnot ... I like to vary my drive between pushing and meditation whilst engaging in whatever form of movement. Sitting down is not good!!! But I also like to work on using my mind despite it's apparent faults. LOL

Thanks for the question. It's easy not do anything the older we get ... or at any age I guess. I'm keeping myself in check minus the up and down 5kb variable. Definitely some cortisol issues going on at the moment, but watching what I eat and keeping myself moving is crucial to my ongoing state of mind.

On another note* I have started a website where I can do more of my "polished" writing. For now it's called Self Help Central (unpublished) - it's just a predraft is all. Still fleshing it all out.

That's about all for now.

I hope you and yours are well.

Thanks again for popping back in. Please keep in touch as I'd like to show you this new project I am working on. I'll link it in PM once I feel there is enough for you to get an idea where it's heading and in fact would be very open to any guidance you could give. I'm going to put a few $$$ into it later on. I've never done that before - but feel it's a good place to teach myself on a more professional level ... or one that can have more of an impact ... purpose and all that.

Adios ... until next post.
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-03-2017 at 02:46 PM.

On second thoughts, I'm not going to fuss over the dumbbells and bench. Less is best. Left the earbuds at home and had a pretty good session doing laps on the hockey oval.

You're welcome. It's nice to be able to hash out ideas in here. I'm sure I'm just like you. We read a few books, watch a few vids, then it becomes a case of digesting the content and trying to take the good stuff while discarding the dogma.

I don't have anyone to talk about this stuff with in real life, so really appreciate you letting me share this space! A few days ago I was having a moment of nostalgia in here. I was remembering many of the guys who have passed through... John, Cully, Tailspin, Dorrie, Frankie, Pam, Marc, etc. I've really taken a lot from the convos that have taken place in here.

Sounds like you've got a pretty comprehensive workout plan there. Certainly don't envy you with that heat though! Is everything A/C over there or do you have to rely on fans and stuff? How does Lisa find the heat?

P.s. Yeah, not bad myself. Trying to fit back into a rhythm again. Sleep, diet, exercise and meditation all got out of sync what with Xmas and the OCD-period. I'm in the middle of reading Mindfulness in Plain English. I've never read it before, but I know Jon K Z speaks highly of it.

AC is surely sapping the planet dry. LOL Yea man ... everyone has it going now. Or at least those that can afford it. Lisa suffers greatly without it. In fact there is a subsidy that we receive for it due to her illness. It's not much, but we are grateful for it.

I remember most of those names you mention. Ineed ... some extremely insightful discussions with those individuals. You're right; much of that info wells still wells within. I miss them very much.

YEA - I find the hype not worth the destabilization during the end of year period. It takes quite some composing to remain in sync with all the upheaval. Good point actually ... about the change in cultural seasons. Hmmm Yea.

Nice looking book. Does this look like it and is this the full version?

This version has Jon Kabat-Zin names on the top of cover - However I don't think as the Author? The file name and web address has the word " Preview" in it. I wonder is this the full version of the book. 208pgs as listed from chapter one. ???
    http://www.wisdompubs.org/sites/defa...Book%20Preview.

Here is the other one I found: I think it is full version as the other only goes to chapter 13 and missing all the others?
    http://misc.equanimity.info/download...in_english.pdf

Anyways I downloaded both. I think it's good to go back to plain english. LOL - I think Watts has left me with a little headache. More the way I have delved into things of late. I've been deep into another book myself and I think it's more the combination of me sucking up all this info with my text to speech. I really need to practice more reading in front of my screen. : )

__

This is the latest I have been reading:
    Quest for Spiritual Self-Reliance: Movement of Meditation

Here is a quote that relates to our conversation not so long ago:
    Ego thinks that it can avoid death, and that is how it all starts…the fight is on….
    — Martin Esten

Here is the Contents List: PS - THIS IS YET ANOTHER AWESOME BOOK FOR ONLY A FEW $$$ !!!

CONTENTS

INTRODUCTION

CHAPTER ONE: Meditation on Thinking

The Origin of Dysfunction in the Human Species ["lol nice intro to chapter one I thought ... hehe"]

Presumption of Problems

Psychological Build up

Illusory Need for Prevention

Primordial Pain

Major Building Blocks of Dysfunction

Mind Means Well

There is no Spiritual Thinking

Time and Thought

Impermanent Thought Will Never Accept Impermanence

Thought is Always Old, Awareness is Always New

Creation of the Thinker

Pleasure Principle

Karma Determinism (Destiny)

To Cherish Thoughts

No Need to Learn More

Creativity

Transition from Awareness to Thought

Trust That Silence

Self-Centeredness

We Are Simply Just Not Interested

Key on the Quality of Thought

Use of Mind

CHAPTER TWO: Meditation in Images

The Basic Restriction

Forming of Images

The Need for Conflict

Illusory Separation

Who Gets Hurt and Who Gets Flattered?

The Need to “Be” Someone

Bumper Sticker

Images of God

Returning Home Is to Drop All Images

CHAPTER THREE: Meditation on the Little “Me”

Reactivity

Who is Judge/Observer?

Suffering needs the Little “me” and Its Story

Language

Little “me” and the Universe

CHAPTER FOUR: Meditation on Struggle as Opportunity

Struggle as Blessing

Fear

Psychological Problems and Disorders

Conflict Situations

Criticizing “Others”

Colored Perceptions

To Wish Ill

Conditioned to be Unhappy

CHAPTER FIVE: Meditation on Sin, Hell, Cause, It

No Rewards and no Punishments

To Sin

It

CHAPTER SIX: Meditation on Meditation

Meditation is the Most Natural “Thing”

Ego Wants to Own Meditation

Happiness is Only a Byproduct

Not a Twenty Minutes Exercise

No Practice

Spiritual Pretenders

Spiritual Supermarket of the West

Developing Dependence

CHAPTER SEVEN: Meditation on Religion

Time to Move on

Surrender

Believer vs Atheist

To Follow Spiritual Authority

No Differences

Description and Reality are Two Different Things

Requiem for Fairness

Letting Go

CHAPTER EIGHT: Meditation on Outside “Security”

“A Better Life”

Inner Adjustment

To Have More

Inviting Insecurity and Opposites

CHAPTER NINE: Meditation on Escapes

Too Much Noise

Ego Has Spilled in all Social Media

Desire and Fear; Pull and Push; Pleasure and Pain

Love

Hope

CHAPTER TEN: Meditation on Relative vs. Absolute Truth

Need to Specify

Different Approaches to Truth by Different People; Same Results (For Spiritually “Advanced”)

Everything is Watched

You Cannot Bring It About

A Different Kind of Intelligence is Needed

CHAPTER ELEVEN: Meditation on Awareness

Suicide

Nothing is Required

Be Vigilant

Tasting the First Freedom

Making “It” More Solid

Keep it Clean and Healthy

Coming Back Home to Fairness

The Only Question

Learn How to Fly
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    I will read the one you have just listed next. But I cheat using Text to Speech. Just kidding ... I am having a quick read now, but have promised myself to take more time in being more mindful when reading these books.
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-04-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Currently I am working on my own article called "The Medication Trap" I aim to make it my most balanced post. Nothing like picking a sensitive topic to practice mindfulness.

Mental Illness Medication - A new Illness spreading the Nation

I came across the following conclusion that summed things up well for me whilst researching the epidemic of increased numbers of the mental ill.

The Epidemic of Mental Illness: Why?
    Marcia Angell JUNE 23, 2011 ISSUE

Imagine that a virus suddenly appears in our society that makes people sleep twelve, fourteen hours a day. Those infected with it move about somewhat slowly and seem emotionally disengaged. Many gain huge amounts of weight—twenty, forty, sixty, and even one hundred pounds. Often their blood sugar levels soar, and so do their cholesterol levels. A number of those struck by the mysterious illness—including young children and teenagers—become diabetic in fairly short order…. The federal government gives hundreds of millions of dollars to scientists at the best universities to decipher the inner workings of this virus, and they report that the reason it causes such global dysfunction is that it blocks a multitude of neurotransmitter receptors in the brain—dopaminergic, serotonergic, muscarinic, adrenergic, and histaminergic. All of those neuronal pathways in the brain are compromised. Meanwhile, MRI studies find that over a period of several years, the virus shrinks the cerebral cortex, and this shrinkage is tied to cognitive decline. A terrified public clamors for a cure.

Now such an illness has in fact hit millions of American children and adults. We have just described the effects of Eli Lilly’s best-selling antipsychotic, Zyprexa.

If psychoactive drugs are useless, as Kirsch believes about antidepressants, or worse than useless, as Whitaker believes, why are they so widely prescribed by psychiatrists and regarded by the public and the profession as something akin to wonder drugs? Why is the current against which Kirsch and Whitaker and, as we will see, Carlat are swimming so powerful? I discuss these questions in Part II of this review.

—This is the first part of a two-part article.

Letters

'The Illusions of Psychiatry': An Exchange July 28, 2011

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

A special thanks to those forum users whom without I would not have such a passion for posting on medication. TY
    Last edited by Ponder; 01-04-2017 at 02:23 AM.