Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thank you for the encouragement. and for reminding me to have patience and keep being persistent. not getting a certain job does not mean that i wasn't a good candidate. it might mean that there are just too many people applying for that one position. i will have hope. in the meantime, i will take "fill in" positions and temp at jobs that i might not like, or might not be my "dream job" but will pay the bills. and i will keep being persistent on finding a good job that i don't mind doing or that I like, that makes a decent living pay. thank you again.

Did the therapist prescribe you medication?? what kind of?? Talk therapy is smth worth doing! helped me a lot! There some really inexpensive options.

No, I see a psychiatrist who prescribes the medications. I see them about every 3 or 4 months, depending on how I am feeling. I found a sliding scale fee for talk therapy. I booked an appt for next week. I hope it is worth doing this time, because I cannot afford the extra expense. But, if talk therapy helps with other areas of life, then I guess that it is worth doing. I feel like I already know what I need to do, but I need help getting there. I need help to make up a structured plan (from an objective professional), step by step (small steps), to get to my goals. Along with reinforcing tips on how to stay social and take care of myself while doing all of this.

I absolutely recommend a therapist that charges based on pay if you need one. The good thing about being in a relationship with someone with their own problems is they will understand when you are doing poorly better than the normal person. The bad thing is you can feed off each others negative energy.
    My girlfriend is extremely stable so she doesn't understand as much as I would like when I tell her I am anxious. She is there for me but could never relate.

Definitely do the talk therapy. My GP once said "talking changes the brain" (with regard to my psychological issues). I personally think he needs a psychiatrist himself because he seems manic to me LOL but he's pretty clever and better than the average GP in my opinion. I guess what he meant is that talking to someone (about how you feel) actually affects the brain like medication. It needs to be a "safe", non-judgemental person obviously though.. I often feel like I pay my psychiatrist just to listen to me haha.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I didn't think about it that way. That's a good positive way to look at it, at the good part of being near someone with issues. At least they can relate/understand. Thanks for reminding me to see a little good in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by fixmybrokenmind View Post
    I absolutely recommend a therapist that charges based on pay if you need one. The good thing about being in a relationship with someone with their own problems is they will understand when you are doing poorly better than the normal person. The bad thing is you can feed off each others negative energy.
    My girlfriend is extremely stable so she doesn't understand as much as I would like when I tell her I am anxious. She is there for me but could never relate.

I will not only do the talk therapy, but I will work on the issues at home. When I used to go to talk therapy 20 years ago, sometimes I would then go home and not work on it. I would busy my mind so I could not process what I talked about with the therapist. i.e. When I got home from work, I would keep the TV on constantly, even fall asleep with it on, so I would block out the issues. Then I would go back to the therapist the next week and do it all over again. Luckily I didn't do this for very long. I learned to do my "homework" after therapy sessions, and to work on and practice coping methods of what I've learned in therapy. And yes it is also just a great place to have an objective person listen.

Ask your talk therapist whether he performs professional orientation diagnosis. It might be smth what you need. I had counselins year ago and paid less than 50bucks per session.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Ans View Post
    I will not only do the talk therapy, but I will work on the issues at home. When I used to go to talk therapy 20 years ago, sometimes I would then go home and not work on it. I would busy my mind so I could not process what I talked about with the therapist. i.e. When I got home from work, I would keep the TV on constantly, even fall asleep with it on, so I would block out the issues. Then I would go back to the therapist the next week and do it all over again. Luckily I didn't do this for very long. I learned to do my "homework" after therapy sessions, and to work on and practice coping methods of what I've learned in therapy. And yes it is also just a great place to have an objective person listen.
    Yeah I have a real stubborn/lazy streak and it's only now in my 40s I've actually been doing the "work". The last session with my psych was pretty heavy going and he photocopied this page from a book that he thought would be helpful for me. In the old days I would've just been sitting there thinking "just write me the damn script" haha, but this time I stuck the page on my fridge and went back over it a few times.

I also find that talking to an objective person helps put things in perspective a lot. I have a pretty dysfunctional family which causes me quite a lot of anxiety, but when I talk about them to the psych he reassures me they aren't unusual. He tells me about other clients (not naming names of course) and it makes me feel better. A lot like reading people's stories on here
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Thank you. I will ask. I am always interested in therapy/counseling methods and any new methods that talk therapists/counselors use. I find it fascinating, the different ways that people can heal, like some people with post traumatic stress disorder can do horse riding and that will help them heal, i think they call it equine therapy. The human mind is an interesting thing, how it can heal.