Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CT scan risk anxiety and facts

Hi,

I went through a CT scan of head normal , last september and every thing came ok, but in january of this year i read an article that ct scan causes cancer and that 2% of all patients will be due to CT scan..

I also read US government figures that suggest that CT scan causes cancer , i was not aware of this risk, now i am constantly thinking of this and making matters worse..

Every now and then such studies come up that confirm this ...

I am 38 years old male, i also had a cervical spine x ray 3 months before the scan last year, it was due to back pain ...

I am really worried can any one please tell what are the facts in this matter and what are my chances now that i have committed the act ....

So many millions go through x ray and ct scans each year , are we all doomed ... please guide ....

Regards
    Ramesh

Hi Ramesh, the article that reads 2% of people will get cancer, although I can't say is or isn't true, look at the flip side: 98% of people won't get cancer.
    Think of radiographers, they have to do it everyday and most are fine You haven't had repeated exposure and I believe your risk is still the same as any other average human.
    I know youe thinking 'Well, What if I'm in two percent?' Think of the whole other 98% you're a whole more lot likely to be a part of.

thanks, yes the fact that the more we read and learn on google , the more we get anxious, i know we cannot turn back the clock and what is done is done ... I guess i will have to think like you suggest and look at the positive side ... but this stupid anxiety which is not much but still there keeps on making me feel worried at times ...

Regards
    Ramesh

My internal medicine and GI physicians told me to stay away from the internet researching diseases as the internet
    typically can show that you are doomed.

CT scan can be compared to 500 xrays and one use it when you have to. I usually have one every 5 years. Still alive. Cancer; well you can get it using commercial soaps , or eating a lot of processed foods, or just doing nothing. So do not worry about cancer, waste of time.
    Do not read Kirk he is so wrong, and his f*****g physician. I would be dead 20 times over, if I had not checked every medication the doc gives me. I am allergic to a lot of medication and it is serious, deadly serious. Before I fill up the prescription I check every medication. Everyone should do it, to make an educated decision about taking the drug. We are flooded with scripts from docs, needed or not.
    I have CT scans on my spine, my sinuses, and cancer runs in my family, so far so good I am already 62 years old ) nothing is going to happen to you, I promise )
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Dahila - thanks for the kind advise and encouraging words , means a lot ...

Ramesh

rameshsippy now is the time that we are not depend on doctors mercy mistakes. Internet is awesome to check the meds interaction, to print my blood test result , btw my doc does not like it, she is not a god anymore, no pushing stupid numbers on me, I am printing the same page as she does receive from lab......... Do u think that docs like it, no. They advice not to check on internet. For your own good; ) how stupid it is.
    I am kind of against trying to check every symptom, but not long ago I got wrong diagnosis and wrong advice from doc. Now I know what to do and the problem is gone, no because of medical help. I generally do not trust them. The time of family docs who knew everything about patient are gone. ............soon we will be diagnosed by robots actually we are now. I believe of taking control over it.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

The deity and witch doctor has spoken. Be careful if you pay attention to someone who rants and raves as they are irrational and say irrational things.

Beware taking advice from a person who has no credentials. You could end up in big trouble.

If you had cancer or a heart attack who would you go to? An auto mechanic, an accountant,
    a baker or maybe a zookeeper? No, a physician!