Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Medication or not, that is the question.

Some interesting statistics in the USA are as follows:

Anxiety disorders affect 18.1 % of adults in the US or approximately 40 million adults between the ages of 18 to 54. (Source NIMH)
    The number of Americans on medications used to treat psychological and behavioral disorders has substantially increased over the last 10 years.
    Women are far more likely to take mental health drugs than men. Women ages 45 and over showed the highest use of these drugs overall.
    Young men ages 20 to 44 experienced the greatest increase in taking these medications. Anti-depressants are the most commonly used mental
    health medications and women have the highest utilization rates. Anxiety disorders are the most common psychiatric illnesses affecting
    children and adults. An estimated 40 million Americans suffer from anxiety disorders, but only one third receive treatment.
    The big question is do you take medication or not? Any prescription medication can have side effects. Physicians and pharmacists say do the
    benefits outweigh the risks? Some people self medicate with alcohol or pot. The big key is to get help and use whatever resources are available
    to help get your life back on track. The help may come from Prozac, Valium, Accupuncture, hypnosis, bio-feedback, herbs, therapy, exercise,
    better sleep, vitamins, etc. The key is to continue to try to get better, never give up and be as positive as possible.

I had an accountant helping me part time a number of years ago. He was Bipolar. He told me that without
    his medication he could not function and work to make a living to support his family. Another example of
    how medication can be and is a life saver.

You also have to be aware of others who claim to know more than trained medical professionals
    such as physicians, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists. etc. Many of these people
    have as much knowledge about medicine as a witch doctor. Nothing is wrong with consulting with
    alternative medicine practitioners as some of the things they advise really work and they have
    worked for me and other people I know. Many people are quick to criticize others for what they
    do without thinking things through like a rational adult should. These people should be avoided or
    at the very least ignored and their advise discounted.

Please be advised that this information comes from an individual associated in the filed of pharmaceuticals.

None the less it would may do some good to give some form of feedback.

Perhaps we should entertain this Dahila?

When I have time ... I think I will give it a shot.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

First of all you have an error in your diction. It is not in the filed of pharmaceuticals but in the field of pharmceuticals.
    As per usual, you are not correct in your assumptions. My wife is a pharmacist, but this has nothing to do with her.
    I only state facts and personal experiences. This is an open forum and I am entitled to express facts and experiences, just as
    you are. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. Medicine has and will help many people and that is a fact whether you like
    it or not. Just because you disagree with someone does not make you right. None of us have all of the answers, including you.
    This forum is meant to help others through difficult times in their lives and not a place to attack people who have differing opinons.
    I also thought you had me on ignore, so you should not be seeing my post anyway.
    Last edited by Kirk; 09-22-2016 at 03:23 PM.

There's that self righteous superiority complex I was referring to Dahila.

That response just undermined the op's original message and validated my point.

You've expressed - no big deal there ... so did I ... rar rar rar

No one is attacking you - just spelling it out. Thanks for filling in the missing letters. Much appreciated.

Please do keep spinning your BS. That's spelt "bullshit!"

Have a nice day in this here public forum.

Edited - to keep the Grammar Nazi at bay.

Adios
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Ponder, the real issue is that you lack the ability to communicate in a reasonable manner. You remind me of the bully on the playground in school.
    If things don't go his way, he gets upset and lashes out at everyone in an irrational manner. I am truly sorry to say that life does not work that way.
    Too bad for you.

Stop taking things so personally Kirk. Despite the obvious short comings we each have to live with in this world, I do not share your view. Things could actually be a lot worse and from the manner in which you speak, my view is that you still have much to learn. Your too busy always crying bully while at that same time demeaning others with your intellectual analysis.

So - Moving on. Let's discuss.

Why Medicate with substances that are unnatural and create side affects which see many coming back for more pills?

Self medicating with unnatural/poisonous substances sold from a pharmacy is no less of a cop out and in fact just as detrimental when self medicating with alcohol, cigarettes and junk food.

Yes there are times where medicine can help ... How & When + when to stop ... that is the question.

Please share your perspective on that?

Let's weigh up the pros and cons of such using within the current system that designs such drugs.
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-22-2016 at 08:48 PM.

I believe medication is necessary when all other avenues have failed and the person is unable to function normally in society and his/her life is adversely affected.

I do agree with you that other natural or alternative methods should be tried first before medication if possible.