Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I don't look forward going out with my girlfriend, I force myself to go so that I can keep a relationship with her. She sometimes tells me that I look scared and that I'm shaking. I force myself to go to therapy, I hate it... It's hard to go especially if you have agoraphobia and social anxiety. my heart was beating out of my chest in the waiting room a few days ago. I just feel like a burden to everyone... Maybe I need to switch therapist, but I don't want to do that cause I'll feel as if she would take it personally.
    I ditched a Psychologist last year because she cancelled on me twice and it pissed me off haha. It does sound like you have bad social anxiety (which is also my thing).
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

If you are not comfortable with your therapist, switch and don't worry how she will feel, as I am sure it has
    happened to her before.

I would say to yourself they are just thoughts and will not happen. Life is full of uncertainty and the is the key to overcoming anxiety is to
    accept uncertainty, although at times easier said than done. My wife around 20 or so years ago was robbed at work and handcuffed to two other
    workers after she opened the safe. She also had a gun stuck to the back of her head. Surprisingly, they did not take any drugs. She went back to work the next day as she has nerves of steel when it comes to things like that. I too was robbed at gunpoint when I was 18 working at McDonalds. The robber put a gun to my temple and said
    you move, your dead. I was stronger back then and I too went back to work the next day. Things like that are an extreme rarity, and the key is to
    be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Kirk; 07-30-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Someone recently posted that what helped them was putting in writing all of the things they wanted to talk to their therapist about and just handed it to her. She said that went great. Just type up everything going on with you, just like you type on this forum and just hand it to her. Then let her do her job. If you don't like her as a therapist, then switch. If you don't like it because it makes you so nervous to go through it, then stick with it and see if she helps you or not. Hand her your typed paper and let her do her job. I want you to get to the point where you can enjoy being with your girlfriend and not be something you dread.

Woah! I use to think like that too. Like for instance when I went to see Star Wars: the Force Awakens last December, I was scared that I either going to pass out, or someone is about to shoot us all. That was I was in Atlanta this holiday. I believe you should talk to your therapist about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I would say to yourself they are just thoughts and will not happen. Life is full of uncertainty and the is the key to overcoming anxiety is to
    accept uncertainty, although at times easier said than done. My wife around 20 or so years ago was robbed at work and handcuffed to two other
    workers after she opened the safe. She also had a gun stuck to the back of her head. Surprisingly, they did not take any drugs. She went back to work the next day as she has nerves of steel when it comes to things like that. I too was robbed at gunpoint when I was 18 working at McDonalds. The robber put a gun to my temple and said
    you move, your dead. I was stronger back then and I too went back to work the next day. Things like that are an extreme rarity, and the key is to
    be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
    Yea the big problem with me is the idea of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. God help me college starts in September 6, it'll be a ride from hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Someone recently posted that what helped them was putting in writing all of the things they wanted to talk to their therapist about and just handed it to her. She said that went great. Just type up everything going on with you, just like you type on this forum and just hand it to her. Then let her do her job. If you don't like her as a therapist, then switch. If you don't like it because it makes you so nervous to go through it, then stick with it and see if she helps you or not. Hand her your typed paper and let her do her job. I want you to get to the point where you can enjoy being with your girlfriend and not be something you dread.
    Haha THAT WAS ME! I did that to my therapist today!
    Last edited by Plasma; 08-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Well said and this is a great idea

I think even just the process of writing down what's going on in your head is so helpful. If you have a therapist who can work with it then that's even better.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    So today I went out with my girlfriend to a restaurant and I had a panic attack because of these bizarre racing thoughts. My mind was telling me that any minute the building will collapse on me, and then later it was telling me that someone will come out and shoot me, then later the waitress came to us and my mind was telling me that the waitress has a bomb and that she will blow us all up! I pictured all of this shit in my head. Does anyone here have any similar bizarre racing thoughts or is it just me? I know the crap I'm thinking is not likely to happen but that's just how my brain works.
    It sounds like you're internalizing much of what's been going on in the world. Do you watch the news much or the radio? If you do, then it may be time to consider searching for a station or channel that reports on the positive in the world and not just the negative. Television shows and movies have the same effect. I'm also a thinker, and I used to love watching most cop/ER/firefighting themed shows. But after a while, they would get to me, and I noticed that I'd get paranoid or start thinking "what if?" For instance, what would I do if I was captured by a serial killer? Then you live the moment in your mind, fear and all. I mean, these thoughts get pretty dark. What helped me was asking myself why I was thinking about these thoughts in the first place. It helped that I stopped watching the darker shows. Once in a while I still watch the mild ones, but still, they're influenced by current events, which reinforces the news/radio reports we watch and hear and overwhelms our minds/subconscious with frightening, depressing and alarming false realities. Consider this: yes, there is evil in this world, but there is also good. Which will you choose to focus on?