Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy New to this and looking for support

Hi everyone,

I guess I'll jump straight into my story.. Im 26 and have suffered with anxiety/depression on and off since I was a teen. It's flared up massively for me just recently as wev been trying for a baby for two years without success and I have had three miscarriages which would be trigger enough! But my partner also has depression and has been dealing with suicidal thoughts so I have been trying my best to support him.. We recently bought a house so are struggling to keep our heads above water financially with us both taking sick days all the time. We already have one child who I feel we are failing having the two of us for parents! We never see him due to working every hour god sends (or trying to) and when we do we are both just so moody we don't want to do anything..

The doctor prescribed me citalopram yesterday which I have never taken before, I wondered if anyone has any experience with taking it? I've read a lot online about it making you feel worse initially and also hving terrible side effects so have put off starting to take it! Is it possible to get through this time without meds, I really don't want to take them if I don't have to!

Welcome to the forum. I can see why you are stressed as you have been and are still going through quite a bit. You could try to see a therapist, try self help books which may teach you different
    methods of dealing with stress. I would also talk to family, trusted friends, your physician, etc., for advice. Please let us know how you make out.

Hi Peach,
    Sorry to hear you have been going through a difficult time lately. You have been through a lot and you are supporting your partner through depression too. Do you have a support system in place for yourself? I have never taken citalopram . At the moment I take sertraline which is working okay for me. Everyone reacts differently to drugs but a doctor should be able to advise and help if you experience any side effects. Have you tried CBT? mindfulness meditation?There are lots of ways (and combinations of ways) to learn to deal with depression and anxiety and how we perceive the outside world. You are dealing with a lot, the trauma of miscarriages and your partners depression as well . Have you considered counselling? I have found meditation, writing and walking help me a little bit too with anxiety / depression. Things will get better for you. Look after yourself and know there is support out there(and on here).

Thankyou, I have been referred to see a counsellor which I'm hoping will help! My partner really is my support system so with him struggling too it's been quite difficult!! Just hoping that now I've bitten the bullet, seen my doctor and acknowledged things aren't right that things can start to get better

I am confident you are on the right track to feeling better soon.

you are definetly doing the right thing by seeing a counselor , one thing that also convinced me to seek helpp, was neuroscience books/movies, so definetly give it a shot, best of luck

Peach, keep in mind that depression is not a disease, it's a symptom that something is wrong in your body, so you need to have a doctor that is going to search for that cause and not just treat the symptoms.. anxiety and depression. Too many doctors don't have a clue and just write out prescriptions to treat the symptoms which are anxiety and depression and they don't know or have a clue about finding out WHAT is causing these issues and then treat that. It's sad, but it's rampant in the medical field.

Quote Originally Posted by ssMarilyn View Post
    Peach, keep in mind that depression is not a disease, it's a symptom that something is wrong in your body, so you need to have a doctor that is going to search for that cause and not just treat the symptoms.. anxiety and depression. Too many doctors don't have a clue and just write out prescriptions to treat the symptoms which are anxiety and depression and they don't know or have a clue about finding out WHAT is causing these issues and then treat that. It's sad, but it's rampant in the medical field.
    I agree with you. Peach, you should consult with a doctor. It is not a disease, but hard to overcome if it not get treated on time.