Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Sugar and its impact on Anxiety/Depression

I haven't been on the boards in awhile so I decided to pop in and see how things are going. I recently went through a pretty bad patch on my anxiety/depression journey where I was experiencing persistent suicidal thoughts. I informed my psych and he basically told me all they could do was "monitor" me.
    I basically got to the point where I was fed up and realized that I needed to make some adjustments to my lifestyle. I'm currently in the process of reducing/eliminating as much sugar as I can from my diet. I'm only a few weeks into this plan and I've noticed a huge difference. My suicidal thoughts have almost disappeared and I'm experiencing less daily anxiety.
    I was curious if anyone has noticed a connection between their anxiety/depression and what they are eating or drinking? If anyone has any links to articles or studies on the connection between diet and mental health they would like to share it would be much appreciated as well
    Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn-Unknown

I copied this, but found it interesting:

Recent evidence suggests that good nutrition is essential for our mental health and that a number of mental health conditions may be influenced by dietary factors.

One of the most obvious, yet under-recognised factors in the development of major trends in mental health is the role of nutrition. The body of evidence linking diet and mental health is growing at a rapid pace. As well as its impact on short and long-term mental health, the evidence indicates that food plays an important contributing role in the development, management and prevention of specific mental health problems such as depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and Alzheimer’s disease.

Nearly two thirds of those who do not report daily mental health problems eat fresh fruit or fruit juice every day, compared with less than half of those who do report daily mental health problems. This pattern is similar for fresh vegetables and salad. Those who report some level of mental health problem also eat fewer healthy foods (fresh fruit and vegetables, organic foods and meals made from scratch) and more unhealthy foods (chips and crisps, chocolate, ready meals and takeaways).

A balanced mood and feelings of wellbeing can be protected by ensuring that our diet provides adequate amounts of complex carbohydrates, essential fats, amino acids, vitamins and minerals and water.

While a healthy diet can help recovery, it should sit alongside other treatments recommended by your doctor.

Very interesting.