Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lexapro questions

Hi all -

Anyone out there on/ever tried Lexapro (Cipralex)?
    In a nut shell, I've had anxiety/panic/agoraphobia for 14 years (I'm 26), and the past few months it's been just AWFUL. I had the worst panic attack of my life at work and haven't been back since (2 months ago), I have anxiety doing pretty much everything now, even when I'm at home (which has always been my safe place) I get anxiety and these bouts where I feel like I'm going INSANE.
    Never in my life have I been able to do anything I want (aka I've never really been on a trip, never been on a plane in my adult life, can't do road trips, etc).
    I need to do something.
    I've never tried medication, but I have now been prescribed Lexapro. I am terrified of the side effects, terrified of taking a drug that affects the brain, and terrified of one day trying to get off it and being worse off than I am now (withdrawal side effects, etc).
    I've also read articles that say these medications don't even work.
    I'm just at a huge loss here. I don't know what to do. But I need my life back. I don't even think I've ever had my life.
    Has anyone had any success or relief from taking this medication? Were the side effects horrible?

I take Lexapro and it has been helpful for me. The side effects for me have been drowsiness and I have to watch more carefully what I eat so I don't gain weight.

Ponder..I will definitely be more careful from now on when answering questions about antidepressants, or even talking about them, but in this case she asked specific questions about does anyone take Lexapro, or what were the side effects, so I decided to answer.

I asked my wife who is a longtime retail pharmacist and she said it is prescribed quite a bit. It can take weeks to be fully effective and does not work for everyone. She said all medicines can have side effects, but most go away over time. She said all side effects should be reported to your physician. She said if Lexapro does not work, their are many others that can be tried, until one you find that helps you.