Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Depression and Alcohol

Hey all,
    I am new here. It has been long that I am suffering from depression. I don't know what is happening to me. I feel low and lost even for small things. I feel isolated and neglected from everything. I know it is just my feeling but I don't know I feel I am all alone in this world and there is no one to understand me. This has lead to an uncontrollable situation that I find alcohol as my only companion in my life. I am not able to understand the love and care that my parent and friends are giving me.
    The only companion that I found was alcohol and that is influencing my life a lot. I am depressed. I get a relief when I take a sip of it. But after some time it goes and gets back to normal. Normal in the sense, back to depression mode. I myself know it is not good to take help of alcohol always. But I don't know what is to be done. My mum has asked and has planned to take me for an addiction treatment in British Columbia at Edgewood. She only knows about my alcohol addiction but she doesn't wanna know the reason for this drinking. I need a help. What should I do? Should I go for a treatment at an addiction treatment or a counselling for depression? Or will an addiction treatment help me overcome this depression stage? I am badly in need of a suggestion.
    Sorry for making it long.
    Thanks for reading.

Definitely you should go for the addiction treatment. Alcohol will only make your depression worse. It is an escape, not a solution, and it can have negative consequences in your life. I read this a while back, "Alcohol takes and takes and never gives back." And, a famous actor (I can look up his name if you want) said: "Give sobriety a chance. After 60 days if you're not satisfied, we'll give you your misery back." It's going to be hard and you will have to find new and healthy ways to deal with any depression, but since alcohol is actually a depressant, it's not a good choice. To battle any depression you have without alcohol, start with vigorous exercise, reaching out more to be around other people, including volunteering, keep a gratitude journal and you can try meditation.

I agree with Anne1221's assessment.

Alcohol in essence is a "depressant." Your turning to something that will not only keep you in your misery, but it will surely only serve to drag you further down. Medication is very much the same thing, however if you head over to the medication subsection, I am sure you will receive great advice from people that not only take meds, but also drink.

Best advice I can give you, it to accept your situation by focusing on what matters and start making friends with yourself.

Forget finding solace in chemical solutions.

All the best.
    Last edited by Ponder; 06-28-2016 at 03:48 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/