Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Doctor won't prescribe Xanax / Anxiety / Brain fog / Lightheadedness / Pressure7thday

Ive had a panic attack in november12 had to quit my job because anxiety and panic took over my life(brain fog/chest pain / palpitations / loss of breath / numbness) . I tried my best to fight it through sleep n rest and quitting my job/supplements/meditation/PMR/weightlifting and cardio.. As last time I went on meds... I gained over 100 pounds and I don't wana go that route.

Since Saturday.. I started having really bad brain fog ( I've had it since I started having anxiety ) but it's gotten worse .. I feel lightheaded and some head pressure 99% of the day except when I wake up... It usually starts about a hour or 2 after I wake up. I do feel it is caused by anxiety and tension.. Because my forhead / facial cheeks are always tensed.. As are my shoulders and hands / legs.. So I have a lot of tension in the body.

I went to the ER because it didn't go away for 24 hours. They did a MRI/EKG they said it was ok and that it was just stress / anxiety. They gave me a Xanax and my symptoms went away about 85%.. Felt way better.

I followed up with a doctor and he did blood work .. He gave me Welbutrin as I guess it doesn't cause weight gain. And he refused to give me anything for my head pressure / Lightheadedness / brain fog. So I have to suffer for a week with my eyes closed all day in bed as that's how much pain I'm in. The only thing that helps is excederin tension but it gives me anxiety as it has lots of caffein.

Has anyone have this issue before? Does this sound like anxiety?
    I'm hoping the Welbutrin will help me.. And I hope it kicks in quick. Ide appreciate any advice / tips. Thanks all.

My wife is a pharmacist and she said Welbutrin is more for depression. Your symptoms sound like anxiety to me.
    My wife said she dispenses many different medicines for anxiety such as Effexor, Xanax, etc. Sh said you should
    talk to your doctor about your concerns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    My wife is a pharmacist and she said Welbutrin is more for depression. Your symptoms sound like anxiety to me.
    My wife said she dispenses many different medicines for anxiety such as Effexor, Xanax, etc. Sh said you should
    talk to your doctor about your concerns, etc.

I go to a hospital doctor and he said he doesn't have the power to prescribe narcotics.

Do you know how long these types of anxiety symptoms last? It honestly feels like a tension issue.. I feel just really brain fogged / lightheaded / with some head pressure.. All day everyday for 7 days it's really worrying.. I told my doctor and he couldn't do anything. Wouldn't even give muscle relaxers.

Kirk, could you please ask your wife how long it would take for the Welbrutin to take effect? (just wondering if Brian might need to give the pills time to take effect)

Brian, could you ask your doctor if there is another one who could perscribe what you wanted to you?

It takes 6 to 8 weeks for any antidepressant to take full effect, however, by week 4 you should be seeing some good results. Week two is better than week one, week three is better than week 2, etc. Also, Kirk is right in that Wellbutrin is used more for depression rather than anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    It takes 6 to 8 weeks for any antidepressant to take full effect, however, by week 4 you should be seeing some good results. Week two is better than week one, week three is better than week 2, etc. Also, Kirk is right in that Wellbutrin is used more for depression rather than anxiety.

Seeing my doctor tomoro. Gona switch to something like Celexa more for anxiety. Also if he can't give me a sedative I will ask to switch.

You could try switching to a different Doctor. Depending on where you live, you could also try cannabis if you haven't tried it before, some people have found that helpful.