Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to Lexapro

new to Lexapro

I have been though a rough several weeks actually its been coming on a couple of months. I was taking Celexa for about 14 years. I could only take the name brand because the generic didn't work. Anyway at the first of 2016 my insurance decided it would no longer pay for the name brand.so i decided to go off it . i did a taper but i don't know if it was slow enough . I only had 30 pills to taper on. I seemed ok but as the months went by i became more and more depressed anxious with some mania mixed in. i was using alcohol too much to make the anxiety go away. finally things got so bad i was missing work. i work with the public so i was becoming miserable having to deal with the public feeling like i was coming out of my skin. Then my sleep got terrible . i tried natural supplements bought the book "the mood cure" nothing was helping . I was desperate to get back on my celexa but couldn't pay that much money. so my Dr put me on Lexapro . I had read good things about it. i'm taking the generic which i though would be ok since i never took the name brand. I am taking a very low dose but it make me feel weird . like not myself . a little edgy and foggy. my question is, will that go away . I've been taking it since Thursday june 9 . any feed back would be appreciated. i'm so scared I'll never be right again. :-(

The generic Lexapro should work as good as, if not better than, the Celexa. Give it time though, say 4 weeks to 8 weeks to reach full potential. What dosage are you on? You say very low dose, but what is that. The therapeutic doses are 10mg to 20 mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    The generic Lexapro should work as good as, if not better than, the Celexa. Give it time though, say 4 weeks to 8 weeks to reach full potential. What dosage are you on? You say very low dose, but what is that. The therapeutic doses are 10mg to 20 mg.
    I'm taking a 4th of a 10 mg pill. i know this sounds crazy but i am afraid of the side effects especially the insomnia ( btw I have sleep apnea and going to sleep dr today) . I had read about some people mirodosing to ease the meds into their system . might be a bad idea i don't know . with my anxiety right now comes fear of everything, even medication that could help. I woke up at 1;30 am in a panic attack ! heart racing like crazy scared me to death. something has got to give! i want my life back!

thank you for your reply BTW

One more thing. I am in Atlanta . I have found it near impossible to get any help. My GP is clueless about this sort of thing however anyone I have contacted in the therapist world has with not returned my calls or has no apps for 2 months! Any advice on that?

Hello, I was on Lex for 7 years. I am going to suggest you take your full dose to get it into your system, to help you ward off the attacks. I have been off it for a few months myself...but I had "brain fog" the whole 7 years. Use it as a tool to get yourself under control to deal with the underlying problems that are causing you anxiety. Good Luck. Sorry no help on the therapist. I saw one for a few months, but did not find it helped. This site and its users have been my greatest source of help.

You have got to get over the fear of taking it to get the help you need. Some people start off with a half of a pill (5 mg) and then work their way up to 10 mg the second week. I was more afraid than you, but I took it and didn't calm down until week 3 when it started kicking in. The sooner you start, and the more you take (like the full 10 mg), the sooner you'll feel better. Don't be afraid of the side effects! They are just uncomfortable and after 6 weeks you can decide if the benefits outweigh the side effects. For example, you might feel tired, or sleepy or feel like you eat more (that one is me!) but for me, the benefits outweigh the side effects. Where exactly in Atlanta do you live? (as far as therapists). Are you looking for therapy, or for someone to prescribe your medication (psychiatry)?
    Last edited by Anne1221; 06-13-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: made an error

I live into near little 5 points. I'm looking for anyone that could give me some help! psychiatry scares me because i don't a doctor loading me up on a bunch of crazy meds. I actually did pretty ok yesterday. was with friends by the pool , was a decent day till last night , as of late I have been waking at 2am with this adrenaline surge rapid heart beat and thinking i'm losing it a should go to hospital. after i calm down i lie there and try to snooze but the rushes keep coming. Ive read something about that having to do with adrenal fatigue but I don't know. yesterday i tried to get an appt with a new doc my friend suggested but he's not taking new patients. i feel i'm running out of options. :-(

I did a google search of "little five points area therapists" and there are quite a few, and they have their pictures posted along with profiles about themselves and some of them specialize in anxiety disorders. You need to figure out what is going on with those middle of the night surges. I'm not sure as I never had that. But I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for years now, and I find it very helpful. If you don't like it, you can just taper off and get off of it. I have tried too many times to count to get off of it, but my anxiety and depression come back with a vengeance, so I get back on.

Thanks Anne, I look that up. I found one girl over here off an anxiety website call and left a couple messages but she never called me back. :-(