Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lowest side effects

Hello,

I was on Paxil for about year but had to stop taking it because of the side effects (muscle twitching). My now dr has me on .25 of Xanax on an "as needed" basis. I can go weeks without taking it, even if there are periods where I really have to tough it out. In your experience, what is the most effective anxiety / panic med with the lowest side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Hello,

I was on Paxil for about year but had to stop taking it because of the side effects (muscle twitching). My now dr has me on .25 of Xanax on an "as needed" basis. I can go weeks without taking it, even if there are periods where I really have to tough it out. In your experience, what is the most effective anxiety / panic med with the lowest side effects?
    If 0.25mg of xanax as needed is working for you then I'd say stick with that. That is the lowest dose available so I don't think you need to worry about addiction or anything. I've been taking 0.25mg a day for the last two months and my therapist doesn't seem to be concerned. Some days I can go without it, some days I need a full 0.5mg but I've talked to people who take a full mg a day so I think you are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus1983 View Post
    If 0.25mg of xanax as needed is working for you then I'd say stick with that. That is the lowest dose available so I don't think you need to worry about addiction or anything. I've been taking 0.25mg a day for the last two months and my therapist doesn't seem to be concerned. Some days I can go without it, some days I need a full 0.5mg but I've talked to people who take a full mg a day so I think you are pretty good.
    Same here. I break a .5mg in half and take that daily. I have a weird fear of the train I take to work :-) Don't need the pills on the weekend. .25mg isn't much to worry about as far as addiction or serious effects.

Thank you both. I have a real bias toward trying to "tough it out." I guess I feel weak if I need medication assistance. My dr is sensible and says that we shouldn't have to live like that - I should start listening to him! I might go with the .25 a day to get through this particular bad spell.