Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Panic attacks that last for hours

Do any of you ever have panic attacks that last for 4-6 hours? I take clonozapam but i find once i have an attack at work, i am done the rest of the day. Does this or has this happened to any of you?

L

Hey Yellow428,

It seems more likely to me to be anxiety attacks, rather than panic attacks.

From a previous post, modified for you:

"There are some differences between anxiety and panic attacks. While books are written on this topic, the following will attempt to summarize some basics here for a brief overview".

Anxiety Attacks:
    An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
    the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:
    Discomfort or pain in the chest, Vertigo or
    Dizziness, Upset stomach / Nausea, Loss of
    Control, Loss of Mental Stability, Stress,
    Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
    near heart attack, Shallow breathing, Shakes / Trembling.
    Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Panic Attacks:
    On the other hand, a panic attack does not carry with it that "always there" association. In fact, panic episodes generally burst forth, peaking after roughly 10 minutes or so, then ending after about 25 minutes. During a panic attack, 4 of the symptoms listed below (in no particular order) generally make an appearance:
    Hyperventilation, Shallow breathing, even to the point of
    suffocation sensation...
    Increased heart rates Tightness of chest, Chest pain or discomfort,
    Shakes / Trembling / Sweating Choking
    sensation, Upset Stomach / Nausea Vertigo,
    Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations),
    Surreal feelings, Loss of Control, especially
    of mental faculties, Death coming on, Numbing,
    Cold or hot flashes.

The Difference:
    The main difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks is in the duration of the attack and how intense it is for the person with the affliction. While anxiety attacks are less hi-stress, they tend to last longer than the power-packed panic stressors".

If panic, learn an anti-panic breathing method before another attack, so you are proficient.

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: ( count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown*.

Also learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
    Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from anxiety / panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

* REPROGRAMMING:
    Use the Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

I'm aware of the opinion that inflicting pain doesn't prevent fear, but the intention is to reprogram, and establish a different way of thinking, by commitment to repetition. It usually takes around 25 to 40 repetitions to establish a new habit.

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?"

Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D. Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.

Check out http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHowTo?sea...ative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.
    Last edited by Nowuccas; 07-13-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Yellow yes, when something bad happens...........let's say my friend dies or I lose my job, yes I get long panic attack. Usually Ativan helps, but sometimes it last forever, it leaves me completely drained, Think I have it for whole life and my grandchild is already ten)
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

It's even harder to deal with bad anxiety when my hands begin to tremor, which gets everyone around me to see how nervous I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MainerMikeBrown View Post
    It's even harder to deal with bad anxiety when my hands begin to tremor, which gets everyone around me to see how nervous I feel.
    Mainer i do not think now that people put so much attention on others, I was like you, trying to hide the symptoms and getting worse by the minute......... calm down, even if someone notice, you think other people do not have anxiety? People say that I am very calm and not anxious when everything inside me is like jello , and my mind is screaming pain.........
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

My first panic attacks lasted for a very long time. Looking at Nowuccas' post, they may have been anxiety attacks. They became so extreme that I could not tolerate them and this is what lead to my hospitalization. I felt my heart rate skyrocket and the suffocation feeling for an extended period of time, hours. I find that mental state is very important in this situation. Before things start to feel out of control, reminding myself that I'm safe and using other positive affirmations helps me regulate my emotions. This can cut down the amount of time in the anxiety attack in my experience.