Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Does Exposure Therapy Really Work Against Social Anxiety Disorder?

I have recently developed a nasty form of social anxiety. Until now I haven't done anything about it, except complain and feel sorry for myself.
    But now, I'm ready to take steps to get better.

I want to avoid taking drugs. I don't care about the stigma, I'm just afraid of the side effects. I know people claim they are generally safe, but I want to hold on to taking drugs, if it is possible to cure myself without them.

I'm a bit of a science freak, and I have been doing a lot of research the past month, trying to find out what is the most efficient and least intrusive form of therapy for dealing with social anxiety. The answers that came up were REBT, CBT and Exposure Therapy.

From what I have read, I gather that the behavioural part of all these therapies is that which actually works. And out of all the 3, it is Exposure Therapy that is the most efficient. The other forms of therapy work only insofar as they have exposure elements to them. Is this true? Can anyone share their experience with this?

I also found a blog post that kind-of touches on what I am feeling right now.

(Can't post a link to it, not enough reputation)

The author claims that exposure therapy works the best for anxiety related disorders. I'm going to buy the book it recommends because it is cheap enough.
    Ideally, I would like to go into proper therapy sessions, but I don't want to invest the money and the time, unless I'm sure that this method works.

Any thoughts? Is exposure therapy useful against anxiety?

Thank you,
    John Meyer

John, exposure therapy is useful against anxieties for many people, but not for all people with anxiety disorders like the ones you have. The thing is, their are no forms of therapy that works for everyone because everyone is different.

But if you decide to give it a try, John, I hope it works well for you.

There is sufficient evidence to support the use of Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy in the treatment of some anxiety disorders, specifically OCD. Cognitive behavioral therapy is generally first line treatment for most anxiety disorders such as GAD and Panic Disorder. As the poster above me said, everybody is different. One form of therapy may be a lifesaver for one person, but not as effective for another. It's difficult to say. If you believe you would benefit from exposure then it is definitely worth a shot.

I am currently waiting to start an Exposure and Response Prevention program for my OCD. The anxiety is simply too much for me, and I have vowed to do whatever is necessary to treat it. It all depends on the individual. I'm a very analytical person myself, therefore I respond better to therapy than medication. I can't wait to start the therapy. Good luck with whatever you decide.