Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Xanax addiction question

About a month ago my doctor prescribed me 0.5mg of xanax. I usually break them in half and take 0.25mg a day but I do take the full 0.5 when needed. Some days I can go without but in the month I've had them I've never gone more that 50 hours without taking one.

My question is regarding addiction. Recently I read that this drug can be highly addictive. How can I avoid becoming addicted? If I continue the regiment I'm on for another few months will I be ok? The xanax has been really helpful so far and I was hoping to continue using it until I finish my college classes in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus1983 View Post
    About a month ago my doctor prescribed me 0.5mg of xanax. I usually break them in half and take 0.25mg a day but I do take the full 0.5 when needed. Some days I can go without but in the month I've had them I've never gone more that 50 hours without taking one.

My question is regarding addiction. Recently I read that this drug can be highly addictive. How can I avoid becoming addicted? If I continue the regiment I'm on for another few months will I be ok? The xanax has been really helpful so far and I was hoping to continue using it until I finish my college classes in June.
    Perhaps you can ask Dr for something else. I was prescribed Xanax after I quit Lexapro cold turkey. Dr prescribed Xanax until I got Lex back in my system. I never filled the prescription much to my Dr's dismay. Best of luck with College.

.25mg of Xanax is pretty small in dosage (equal to 5mg of Valium), so if you can manage with just that amount to get by only a few times a week, you should be alright (only my humble opinion). Its not so much becoming "addicted" on meds sometimes, rather "Dependent" on them. You can become dependent on meds that are not addictive as well. Then there's "Tolerance". With longer term usage of Benzodiazepines, you would have to increase the dosage to feel the same affect and going down that road only leads to disaster.

I would use it only when you really need it.

I wouldn't worry too much about physical addiction. There's a difference between physical addiction and psychological dependence. Physical addiction means your body requires the drug to function or feel "normal". Psychological dependence is more often than not the problem with benzodiazepines, especially the shorter acting ones like Xanax and Ativan. Many times people see benzodiazepines as their only means of coping with anxiety. You would really need to abuse your prescription to get addicted. However, if you are concerned about dependence, you might want to ask your doctor about a longer acting benzo like Klonopin or Valium. As the poster above me said, .25mg is a small dose, so it's pretty safe to say you'll be fine. You should only use it when you really need it.

I've been on Klonopin as needed since 2014. When my anxiety is at its most severe, I may have to take one every other day. Then I can go 3-4 weeks without needing to take one. You will be fine. Good luck with overcoming your anxiety and good luck with your classes.

Two one finally wise post, thank you.
    I get sick with the legends people build around benzos. I am on Klonopin as needed for more than 3 or 4 years and no addiction so far, I am on small dose though
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I have been addicted to xanax. 2.4 mgs a day still wasnt enough. A sensible doctor put me on a reduction program using vallium and it only took one week to be benzo free. Without the benzos, my ADs kicked in.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have only been using it for a month but hearing some feedback really helps with how I should use it in the future. Interestingly enough I am actually seeing a therapist who uses it as a sleep aid and his opinion was that as long as I never exceed the recommend dosage per day, which I never have, that I should be fine. Though going a few days without it here and there is probably a good idea so I do not build up a tolerance. One plus is that I've stopped having panic attacks so I actually have been using them as a muscle relaxer. Turns out months of stress and anxiety can really, really tighten up your muscles, who knew, right? Anyone else here using them for that reason? I started getting massages too, they said I was really tense and knotted up, so I am really hoping that as soon as I loosen up I can stop taking the xanax all together.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Two one finally wise post, thank you.
    I get sick with the legends people build around benzos. I am on Klonopin as needed for more than 3 or 4 years and no addiction so far, I am on small dose though
    Can I ask what dose you are on? I am now on 1 mg daily which I believe is safe but want to increase. What would a safe daily dose of klonopin be?

I am on 0.5 which I usually take at 7 pm to get calm before bed, sometimes I take twice a day if needed. Very often I forget to take it, if not stressed and I am ok too My doc is sure the dose I am on even if I ncrease to 1 mg is ok but not to go over it
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I never had any withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking it, however results may vary according to dosage and the individual.