Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Getting medication prescribed from GP? Help please

I called my therapist today who unfortunately is on vacation and they're moving their clinic afterwards. Which means I can't get an appointment until the end of April. I wanted to talk about medication during my next appointment. My anxiety and depression are at its worst. Have been dealing with both for 6 six years now and after I had a horribly bad panic attack last year everything went downhill. I started to get panic attacks that last hours where I'm shaking so bad I can't even stand and hyperventilate and throw up every single time. I'm already waking up with a racing heart and pressure in my chest and it's not getting any better during the day. I'm shaking 24/7. I had a full blown panic attack when my dad told me I can't have an appointment until the end of April. My short time memory is pretty much non existent. I also have a complete memory gap of 8 months from November two years ago till July last year. I'm dizzy all day and even when I lay down I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I'm sleeping more than I'm awake. I can barely stay awake for longer than 5-6 hours. I sometimes feel like having a heart attack. I'm going down the stairs and immediately feel weird and dizzy and like I can't get enough air into my lungs. The same thing often happens when I'm just sitting somewhere. I'm not starting to feel anxious I just suddenly feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs and like I might stop breathing at any given second. I'm too anxious to even leave the house. I can't do this anymore and over a month until the end of April feels like years for me right now. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow because of my allergies. I thought of maybe telling him all this. He knows how bad my anxiety and panic attacks are but not about the memory stuff, the dizziness or the sleeping problems. Is there anything he can do for me? Can he prescribe me medication? I really don't know how I'm supposed to get through this month right now. What am I supposed to do?

Yes, by all means, tell you GP. They most certainly can prescribe something for you. (they know a lot about it)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Yes, by all means, tell you GP. They most certainly can prescribe something for you. (they know a lot about it)
    Thank you for your answer! I googled a bit and a lot of people said only your psychiatrist should prescribe you something because your GP doesn't know whats best