Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lightbulb 5 Powerful Tools You Probably Haven't Tried Yet

Hi everyone,

I have suffered from depression and anxiety my whole life. Over the years I have spent countless time learning ways to overcome it. I've gone through so much turmoil to learn these things so I wish to bring them to you so you don't have to toil like I did. .So if you are looking for safe, easy and effective tools for naturally feeling happier, calmer, relaxed and optimistic then I am confident that at least one thing I mention will be of use to you. I am new here and have not read other posts yet so apologies if I mention things that have been stated already. I am still learning many more things and I may have forgotten some things but I want to get down in writing everything I have stored in my mind up until now

1) Mantra Chanting - This one I never understood for a long time. I always thought it was weird and felt unwilling to try it. I always thought it was just some kind of prayer. What I came to learn is that mantra chanting actually has an effect on your energy field. The syllables create particular vibrations or frequencies that help re-align you. You are in dis-ease when something inside you is not vibrating at it's natural healthy state. Mantra chanting restores the harmony within you. If you'd like some scientific proof do a youtube search of 'cymatics' and you will see that different vibrations create different effects. Plus there is also other scientific evidence on google. OM is the vibration of all creation. You've probably heard a monk chant it at some point and for good reason. If you don't want to do longer more complicated chants just start with OOOOOMMMMMM saying it gently and peacefully. You can do it out loud or in your mind. Doing it mentally is more powerful and you don't have to worry about someone hearing you and thinking you're weird

2) Gyan Mudra - Have you ever seen a picture of a monk meditating and his finger tips are touching? I never understood what that was. I always thought it was just something to do with your hands while meditating. What I came to learn is that these hand gestures actually do have an effect on you. Mudras are also known as yoga for the hands. This one is the cornerstone mudra(hand gesture). You simply gently touch the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb (not nail touching nail) for both hands. The other 3 fingers are gently outstretched. When you do this it triggers a healing, relaxing and uplifting effect on your whole being. You will feel happier, calmer and your spirits will be boosted. Do this whenever you like and as long as you'd like. You can do it while watching TV or you can have your hands in your pockets in public while doing it. This technique is so incredibly simple, easy and yet very powerful. Seriously, try it right now and tell me you don't feel better after 5 minutes of doing it. It's also good if you're having a panic attack or you need to diffuse some kind of nervousness. There are many other mudras that have different healing effects on the body/mind but start with this one since it's the main one and you can research other ones if you'd like.

Note: The above 2 suggestions do not need to be only done while in meditation. You can use them together or individually throughout the day whenever and wherever you are.

3) Magnets - Magnetism is very beneficial for your health. The whole Earth is one big magnet and is necessary for our well being. Astronauts need to bring magnets with them or else they start getting sick because they are so far away from the Earth's field. Your body has magnetism flowing through it and so exposing yourself to magnets can help naturally bring you into alignment and greater health and well being. And the best part is you don't have to do any kind of work. The magnets will do all the work for you! You can get a bracelet and wear it all the time however they aren't particularly strong. I have larger static magnets that I use which are more powerful. If you try the larger static magnets expose yourself to the North side because that is the side more conducive for healing. Also if you get the bigger ones keep them away from the TV, computer or other electronics.

4) I Love You's - This I only started doing recently but I feel like it's already having an immediate effect. All pain and unhappiness derives from one common denominator, a lack of love within. Normally we seek to find love from others but when they don't we feel worthless, lonely etc. No one else can give this to you though. You have to give it to yourself. Healing starts with self-love. I know it sounds a little hokey and hallelujah which is why I overlooked it for so long but it's the way out of the darkness. There is no other way. Your wounds and emotional disturbances and depression are showing you where love needs to be directed in order for it to be healed. Focus on your heart or other parts of your body if you feel there is an imbalance there or just to your whole self in general and simply say in your mind "I love you" gently and warmly. Do this 10-20 times and see if you don't start feeling brighter and happier almost immediately. Just by sending pure unconditional love into yourself your body/mind/spirit will soak it up like a sponge and direct it to areas of damage. You can heal any condition in you just by saying "I love you" to yourself many times a day.

5) Kratom - This is a plant indigenous to Thailand. It has different effects being slow, moderate or fast. The slow ones instill calmness, the fast ones bring energy and the moderate are a little bit of both. I started using kratom a couple of months ago and it has been a tremendous help to my mood. It's now apart of my regular routine and I can't see myself parting ways with it. I have used many other supplements in the past but this has been the most effective for me so far. I also haven't developed a tolerance yet. From what I know it is safe and does not have any side effects. I haven't had any issues with it other than it tastes it a bit earthy. If you're looking for a natural substance that is a safe alternative to medication then I would recommend kratom. It's nice to have something to fall back on when you absolute need some kind of outlet to feel happier.

I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. If you were helped in any way by these recommendations please let me know as I would be pleased to hear from you!
    Last edited by DurandalBlue; 03-01-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Kratom can be addictive to some people and is not without risks; check out https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 such as:

https://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom.shtml which provides factual and unbiased information. Kindly contribute a little, if helped, as they rely on donations to maintain the website.

Alternatives:

There is a proprietary product, containing only natural ingredients, available by internet order at: http://seredyn.com/order.html 30 - 60 doses (less per unit if purchased in bulk, but I advise trying a small order first). I have no information on its efficacy.

At http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solutions.com/ a number of proprietary medications, and treatments, are available. Arctic root was recommended, and St. John's Wort is a popular herbal treatment, but it can affect some medications that you may be taking, and takes a fair while to become effective with some people; up to 2 months, and should not be used by women taking contraceptive (birth control) pills, (see http://www.drweil.com/ :Herbs. There are websites devoted to that herb;
    http://hypericum.com & http://sjw.info

It acts to thin the blood, so should be discontinued 2 weeks before surgical procedures ( as with aspirin, and garlic ). I suggest taking it with a meal, to reduce further the slight risk of stomach upsets.

Many brands contain insufficient hyperforin to balance the hypericum content, but Perika, Jarsin, and Kira have been recommended; Google supplies.

Other herbs used for anxiety include PassionFlower (Passiflora Incarnata), Lemon Balm, Lavender (tea) Hops, Verbena, Skullcap, and Reishi. Nettle tea, which is recommended by some for panic attacks, may also help, but some people are allergic to it. As with all herbal teas, use sweetening, if desired, BUT NO MILK OR CREAM!

(FROM: www.drweil.com "there are natural substances that you may want to try. Spearmint and chamomile teas are both mildly relaxing, and you can drink as much of them as you want. A stronger remedy is passionflower, made from a plant (Passiflora incarnata) native to southeastern United States. Passionflower products are available at herb and health food stores. The dose is one dropperful of the tincture in a little water or two capsules of a standardized extract up to four times a day as needed. Passionflower is not sedating." Note that from my reading of books about herbal remedies, spearmint should be avoided by women who are pregnant, trying to be, or breastfeeding. Always Google the hazards of any treatment being considered.

KavaKava is sometimes recommended, but see the warning at http://www.erowid.org/plants/kava/kava.shtml , first. View http://www.mind.org.uk/ & http://www.kickbackwithkava.com/ Always tell your doctor/health practicioner/therapist what herbal remedies and dietary supplements you are taking. Discontinue use if stomach upsets result. Google: "anxiety; herbal remedies; compare", then select your choice, and Google: " ....... ; supplies" View: http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/cond.../a/Anxiety.htm and I strongly advise checking out ALL INGREDIENTS in any herbal/supplement product. At the very least, Google that product, together with CONTRAINDICATIONS, such as: "peppermint herbal tea; contraindications"

Sceletium Tortuosum (Kanna) also has anxiolytic effects, as well as inducing mild euphoria; check out https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Also consider sacred lotus (actually a lily); check out https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS NATURAL DOESN'T MEAN IT'S SAFE!

This advice applies particularly to pregnant, or breast feeding women, those about to undergo surgery, and those intending to do something potentially dangerous, such as going out on the roads.
    Last edited by Nowuccas; 09-02-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Yes you're right, just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. Like anything else always do your research beforehand.

However because it is natural it is my belief that is probably more likely to be safe. Especially than pharmaceutical medications. There is no question there is potential risk and harm involved with those. I would rather deal with the possible side effects of a natural plant than a man made drug.

It's funny how the FDA and the mainstream media immediately want to ban it and slam it like any other thing that is more natural. They want to you spend your money on their products not elsewhere. Like I said do your research but don't easily buy into the fear-mongering of big media outlets or the FDA.

For the record I just keep hearing positive results from people who have taken it. When you read an article scroll down to the comments and see what people who have actually taken it have to say about it. I would rather trust people who have taken it personally than what the government or media says.

3) Magnets - Magnetism is very beneficial for your health. The whole Earth is one big magnet and is necessary for our well being. Astronauts need to bring magnets with them or else they start getting sick because they are so far away from the Earth's field. Your body has magnetism flowing through it and so exposing yourself to magnets can help naturally bring you into alignment and greater health and well being. And the best part is you don't have to do any kind of work. The magnets will do all the work for you! You can get a bracelet and wear it all the time however they aren't particularly strong. I have larger static magnets that I use which are more powerful. If you try the larger static magnets expose yourself to the North side because that is the side more conducive for healing. Also if you get the bigger ones keep them away from the TV, computer or other electronics.
    I've been really interested for some time about magnets and their healing properties. I only gave it a try once with a inexpensive bracelet sold at a large chain department store, and didn't notice much of a benefit. I'd like to hear more about magnets and your personal experiences with them if you would be so kind.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-25-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Hi salvator here,

Yeah the bracelets aren't too powerful. They are more for just giving you a mild continuous charge. But they are still useful and look cool too. There are places that sell stronger magnets you can put in your shoes and under your mattress. We have 2 large static magnets here so I would put one hand on each on the North side. I noticed I felt better so I continued using them regularly. Unfortunately over time I wasn't noticing the same euphoric feeling. Maybe my body had gotten too used to them.

My mom had leg pain and she slept with the magnets underneath and she said they helped reduce the pain. Also when our dog had cancer we had her lay under magnets and we believe it helped keep her alive much longer.

But I know there is plenty of research showing the positive effects of magnetism. They are safe so you may want to give them another shot. You could try a stronger one than a bracelet.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the extra information here. I'm going to give magnets another chance. I have been reading about magnetic insoles for shoes and the proposed health benefits - they range anywhere from as low as just under $10 to upwards of $30 on amazon. I might see about trying something inexpensive to begin with, and if I'm finding I like the results, I may invest in something of better quality. I'm going to pick up the bracelets again this week as well since the ones I have a really old.

Worth a try!
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Good stuff DurandalBlue.

I find It's all about tuning into what works on a personal lvl. You have given us some excellent examples to work with. I believe many of us do these things instinctively in the background when we are stressed. Problem is we are so out of tune that we no longer acknowledge our bodies ability to calm itself down. Hence the need to start a practice of some kind in order to regain our balance.

I really like the mention of "Gyan Mudra" - You have given my something to think about. I am very sensitive with my hands.

You've have made a great post. TY - A+++++ Very well thought out and a good tone.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll be sure to read up on that Gyan Mudra.

Cheers
    Dave.
    Last edited by Ponder; 03-01-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

I am glad I could offer helpful suggestions. Salvator and Ponder let me know how those things work for you!