Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Cool I Finally Get a Day Off, Go to Store, and Must Say "Excuse Me."

But really I dont like to say more than i really need to when i must get out and go to store shopping. I was minding My Own business in wal-mart line and this very obviously rude, and arrogant lady in line was blocking me from being able to stand where the Debit machine is and complete my payment transaction. Well I would rather have plead the 5th. I am planning to get braces too and really people shouldn't have to talk and thats 1 example of a population who actually are Inconvenienced by having to open our mouths and communicate unnecessarily because Someone is in our Personal Space!It makes me feel Angry. I dont feel guilty for my emotion. I am angry that there are so many rude and pushy arrogant people out there and happy i dont attend too many social gatherings or go out into the public unless im paid to do so, like when going to work, because i must!!

Despite the fact that man is subject to the spinning wheel of life, we all a path within it and are responsible for how we allow ourselves to feel. In other words, no matter how bad things may or may not look, there is always room to move around those obstructions that get in our way.

Having said that though, I often have difficulty in navigating the ignorance of which you speak - but I am getting better at finding less toxic ways.

Sorry you had a bad experience whilst out and about.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluerose68 View Post
    But really I dont like to say more than i really need to when i must get out and go to store shopping. I was minding My Own business in wal-mart line and this very obviously rude, and arrogant lady in line was blocking me from being able to stand where the Debit machine is and complete my payment transaction. Well I would rather have plead the 5th. I am planning to get braces too and really people shouldn't have to talk and thats 1 example of a population who actually are Inconvenienced by having to open our mouths and communicate unnecessarily because Someone is in our Personal Space!It makes me feel Angry. I dont feel guilty for my emotion. I am angry that there are so many rude and pushy arrogant people out there and happy i dont attend too many social gatherings or go out into the public unless im paid to do so, like when going to work, because i must!!

Really.....not being critical, but that is part of life anxiety or not. I am not sure you realize it but small things like saying "excuse me" are small steps outside the walls that those of us with anxiety build around ourselves, so you made a step outside of your comfort zone...that's a good thing. As for the lady 9 times out of 10 she did not know she was in your way...most people are to wrapped up in themselves to even know were they are or even realize you even exists...I always worried about what people thought of me..now I realize they could not care less.

I hope this did not come across as harsh...just wanted you to see the positive in it...you had to speak to someone and the world did not end, nobody died, the building did not collapse...get out and do more.

I can sympathize with your position. In those situations you have a choice between using patience, aggression, or a society approved nicety. Your "excuse me" solution seems reasonable. If it causes you too much stress, perhaps online shopping is something that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by The Intolerable Kid View Post
    I can sympathize with your position. In those situations you have a choice between using patience, aggression, or a society approved nicety. Your "excuse me" solution seems reasonable. If it causes you too much stress, perhaps online shopping is something that would help.
    Redirect ... Good call. I use this strategy often and think nothing of it. I know it's much easier than triggering what I know to be the limits of my negative sensitivities. Perhaps a little annoying at first, but once you adopt the redirect strategy with all those issues that we know ourselves to be sensitive to; the effectiveness with such positive avoidance techniques make the effort - effortless.

In this way, I can then find the space I need to contemplate graduated exposure. But that's another story.

Thx for reminding me of the redirection method kid.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Walmart is the haven for the strange. People are in my way every time I go there! I swear they are there to socialize while I just want to shop. One has to say excuse me or these cattle won't move out of the way! As anxious people we worry about offending others, but these sloths don't care about being in the way, they are narcissists.

Some of them are just people trying to get by. I enjoy watching the Youtube videos of how some of them get by living in the parking lots. Many of them are good people that know how to look on the bright side of life, no matter the circumstances. Walmart is also quite tolerant of them. Taking offence is more an issues for those less willing to see these people as human.
    Last edited by Ponder; 03-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.