Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

How much 5-HTP can you take with Effexor

My doctor just put me on Effexor for my insomnia - we're not sure if my anxiety is causing my insomnia or if the insomnia is ramping up my anxiety. I haven't been able to sleep through the night for almost 7 months and I'm desperate. I saw a natural product on Amazon that has the highest satisfaction rating I've ever seen on there. Problem is, it contains 5-HTP (25mg). I've been reading that you shouldn't mix the 2 of them due to serotonin syndrome, but I'm wondering how much would cause that. Right now, I've just started taking Effexor (37.5mg to increase in a week to 75mg). Like I said, I am desperate to get some sleep.

Hello!

I'll be happy to answer your question - Zero (0) Milligrams! I have to take Effexor for my bipolar depression (I'm currently off it now), but mixing OTC or natural substances with this med is only going to make your situation worse. I know there are some good reviews on 5-htp, but, trust me, its pretty shoddy at best. Those reviews are likely by shills promoting the product, itself. Research "blood brain barrier" and 5-htp and you will realize its useless!

IMO go back to your doctor, and tell him/her that you are still having trouble sleeping and see if you can be prescribed something short-term to help you sleep. But again, this is not a med to be taken lightly.

Honestly, try some sleepy time tea

Perhaps you need a different antidepressant if this one causes insomnia for you, or perhaps you are to anxious and need to wait until Effexor kicks in. Talk to your doctor. The two antidepressants that help most with sleep are an older one called Tradazone and one called Remeron. But do talk to your doctor. I agree with the above poster that you can't trust those reviews. They can be put there by the people trying to sell the product.