Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Panic at doctor office

Does anyone have panic attacks at the doctors office? *I had one last time and I have an appointment Thursday and have worried about it everyday for a month. *I'm nervous about the appointment in general and specifically anxious when my blood pressure is taken? *Totally afraid I might have another panic attack. *I made an appointment at a different doctor office hoping it would help. *Any suggestions?*

welcome to the forum. I got a question; why did you make 3 the same threads? Everyone is panicky at doctors office, they call it white coat syndrome. I get so anxious when I put my sleeve on, and measure it (I suffer with high blood pressure for years, I am on meds for it).
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

The only place I get really bad panic attacks is at the dentist office (usually in the dentist chair when I see the needle). I've had my dentist prescribe meds ahead of time, and he said it makes things go much easier this way. I think doctors expect this and blood pressure can be slightly higher when it is (initially) checked. Why are you freaked out though even before your appointment? I know anxiety can cause it, but maybe you need to find another doctor. Good luck

Having panic attack in docs office is not so bad, he have some meds in office like Ativan or xanax )
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

When I first arrived in this town, I blew the lid off the place at one doctors office being unable to contain my "panic" attack. My name was "flagged" with the local police and other medical facilities - the incident mentioned later at another doctors office.

Shit happens, then you have to move on.

BUT - to answer the OP - YES ... I struggle a lot when going to any medical facility. I'm pleased to say that I am getting much better with this now. We often use such places to highlight our condition and end up create something that really need not exists. I no longer allow such places to effect me like so - I also accept the fact that it's not any circumstance that leads me into such a state, but more a case of coming to accept its up to me how I allow myself to react.

Alternatively, I have found I do way way better living a much healthier lifestyle and learning for myself what my body needs. I have my own views on GPs which I have shared many times in here. Now that I care little for the advice they give and only go to acquire what I decide I need, I am better able to endure the indignity one often has to go through in order to receive.

People in waiting rooms I consider nothing more than a challenge - where once it was always a life draining affair. I use ear buds to ignore the brainwashing from the Tv's. I'm done ranting on those episodes as well.

Adios.
    Last edited by Ponder; 02-16-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Yes, it is very common in the beginning. Don't worry about the panic attacks, you will feel better after 2-3 meetings..
    Anti-anxiety: Xanax ( alprazolam )
    Anti-depressants: Zoloft pills
    Pillsforall.com

Quote Originally Posted by RoderickLariviere View Post
    Yes, it is very common in the beginning. Don't worry about the panic attacks, you will feel better after 2-3 meetings..
    It's a rather subjective affair. Took me years. Whilst it really all comes down to the person in question, your optimism may be seen as encouraging. I must thank you for the laugh. I really needed one. TY
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

When I was about to have cervical spinal surgery in 2004 and I saw the tools they were going to use all laid out (drills and saws) I probably would have except they had already started me on the sedation meds. Seeing that stuff is about the last thing I remember, thankfully. After that it was just a lot of pain during a long recovery.