Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Cool Is This Anxiety or Common Sense???

My housemate has a rude and seemingly out of touch habit of warming up his car-running the motor-exhaust fumes esp and all, for at least 20 -45 minutes every morning before he leaves the house. On a cold day this means that the house may get super cold as I open the doors and windows to keep house ventilated when his car is running in the garage. So I feel Very anxious about the exhaust fumes entering via the kitchen and the side front of house area where the vent comes out from the garage from the dryer. This makes me panic every time he does this. I dont see why he cant reverse the darn car out of the garage so that its NOT running, once the motor is started , with the exhaust end of car outside the garage. he always gives an Excuse that his car will fail if he FORCES it to reverse out of Garage before its warmed up. I think he's full of BS and is being a Difficult Housemate. Does anyone see things from my perspective. Am i panicking over the exhaust fumes, or is he being extremely rude and pushy in running the car for up to 40 minutes in my garage?

This would really bother me. I used to live in this situation where the apartments were above the garages, people would warm up their cars and I would have to open the windows and freeze in the cold weather. My living room would fill up with the fumes until I was choking when people were getting ready for work in the morning; complaining to management did no good either as they also said I was overreacting to it. I finally had to move as a result. Exhaust fumes are harmful and make you sick breathing them in, so I don't think you are panicking over nothing. But if its only his car causing the problem, just tell him, its totally fine to back the car out of the garage and allow it to warm up in the driveway until he drives off at full speed. Just backing it out of the garage cold is fine.
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-13-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Really shouldn't warm a car up in the garage period unless you want to take a dirt nap. the proper way is to start the car and move it to the outside and THEN let it warm up outside. At the very least i hope the garage door is up when he is doing this.
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

Thanks, he improved, cut the front lawn, and stopped doing that annoying thing w/ his car in the garage. Thank Heaven, as im not ready for Another Funeral for a family member 2 in a row w/in 4 years is a bit much.plus 1 other a year later too.