Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Made a huge mistake...med withdrawal

I am on my second week with a CPAP machine and loving the sleep(FINALLY!) Anyway I have taken Clonazepam (sp) 1mg a night for the last 5 to 8 years, not sure how long its been. My prescription ran out last week, and I did not renew it, I figured I no longer needed it since I was sleeping much better. I don't know what iwas thinking...the withdrawal symptoms hit...at first i did not know what was happening...then i figured it out...not a good idea to go COLD TURKEY. I got my prescription renewed and took 1...within five minutes the head ache and shakes went away. I am going to start doing a half pill tonight for about 2 weeks and then a quarter pill for two weeks and then none. Hopefully I can minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Got any advice?

I think you're doing exactly the right thing by reducing the dose. You may find you still need a small dose, or you may eventually wean off it entirely and not have to experience withdrawal again. The only thing you didn't mention is whether your doctor is on board with weaning you off it--if so, keep them updated. If not, consider telling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
    I think you're doing exactly the right thing by reducing the dose. You may find you still need a small dose, or you may eventually wean off it entirely and not have to experience withdrawal again. The only thing you didn't mention is whether your doctor is on board with weaning you off it--if so, keep them updated. If not, consider telling them.

I have informed DR of my plan, I am awaiting a response...I know he wants me off this stuff as he has mentioned it in past. He is only DR I have had that has taken my sleeping problems seriously and had the proper test ran. I will wait to here from him, before I make a move. The DR who originally prescribed this drug told me it was non addictive...I guess he was wrong.

I am not a doctor, nor currently a licensed health care provider though I have 30 years of experience and have been licensed at need in 2 states.

That original prescriber is NOT keeping up with the information if he said it was non-addictive. Clonazepam is in the benzodiazepine tranquilizer family with Ativan (lorazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Xanax (alprazolam). It has been widely accepted in the medical community in the US for quite a long time now that ALL of the "benzo" drugs are potentially highly addictive. Can't speak regarding the Canadian medical community, though I do know someone who could if questions needed to be asked--someone who is now all too familiar with panic attacks in the wake of a single-car accident several years back that injured him and several other passengers and killed the driver, who was a very good friend of his.

This kind of misinformation & lack of research by licensed professionals is, sadly, all too common. Of the 3 people I've loved who were all severely damaged by the same non-benzo drug, 1 of them got there by having a prescriber who didn't read the physicians' info on the product where it said DO NOT ALLOW SUDDEN DISCONTINUATION. Just up and yanked the 'scrip one month; as a result a man I once loved as family has been over-medicated into a tired shadow of the personality he once had, and will spend the rest of his life with sudden-stop withdrawal problems including migraines, dizziness, and falling--no joke as he's 6' 2" barefoot and well over 200 pounds last I knew.

Sounds like you're well on the way to better help! My own personal life is currently nothing but a swirl of pain, confusion, and despair, so it is good to read that you have medical support you feel you can trust. I don't hear that one nearly often enough!

Quote Originally Posted by gadguy View Post
    I am on my second week with a CPAP machine and loving the sleep(FINALLY!) Anyway I have taken Clonazepam (sp) 1mg a night for the last 5 to 8 years, not sure how long its been. My prescription ran out last week, and I did not renew it, I figured I no longer needed it since I was sleeping much better. I don't know what iwas thinking...the withdrawal symptoms hit...at first i did not know what was happening...then i figured it out...not a good idea to go COLD TURKEY. I got my prescription renewed and took 1...within five minutes the head ache and shakes went away. I am going to start doing a half pill tonight for about 2 weeks and then a quarter pill for two weeks and then none. Hopefully I can minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Got any advice?
    Here we go another benzodiazepine victim.
    I am so sorry for your condition, I am not a dr, but but please hear me for a while.

Your medicine called clonazepam (klonopin) is categorized as benzodiazepine. Benzo is very effective for anxiety and panic disorder but it is prone for abuse because of the effectivity. Thing is you may become dependent to it. Firstly, you cannot stop this medicine cold turkey, because it is harmful for you. You need to taper down from it really slowly. I suggest you need to consult to your doctor to taper it slowly.

I am an alprazolam user for about 1.5 year. It is similar with your clonazepam, and now have a hard time to taper off from this medicine. I hope you can find your best way to taper off from this medicine.

contiki.

Quote Originally Posted by contikitiki View Post
    Here we go another benzodiazepine victim.
    I am so sorry for your condition, I am not a dr, but but please hear me for a while.

Your medicine called clonazepam (klonopin) is categorized as benzodiazepine. Benzo is very effective for anxiety and panic disorder but it is prone for abuse because of the effectivity. Thing is you may become dependent to it. Firstly, you cannot stop this medicine cold turkey, because it is harmful for you. You need to taper down from it really slowly. I suggest you need to consult to your doctor to taper it slowly.

I am an alprazolam user for about 1.5 year. It is similar with your clonazepam, and now have a hard time to taper off from this medicine. I hope you can find your best way to taper off from this medicine.

contiki.

Thanx, I have a great DR now, I have fired several since I began this med due to not listening. I generally research everything, but I let this med slip through cracks, since I was told it was not addictive.....which i now know to be wrong. I'm just thankful I do not have an addictive personality. I discussed coming off with Doc. I am starting to take .5mg for two weeks and the down to .25mg for two weeks and the none, with a backup plan of taking .25 every other day for two weeks..depending on what type if any withdrawal i have. I have done half a pill last couple of nights..other than a slight persistent headache its going good....and for some reason I am repulsed by coffee now...weird.

Gad,

That's great you were have no difficulty in benzo addiction. I was too late to realize that my brain has been bonded by it after 2 month usage. Please consult to your doctor for your best taper plan. If you use it only for a short time, I think a rapid taper will be fine, I don't know. Mine is slower from 1mg, 0.8mg, 0.7, .... until several days ago, I hit 0 mg and jump. Anyway, so just in my opinion, if you think it is too hard with withdrawal symptom, I suggest you to discuss with your dr to switch to slow taper. Or change the medicine to another benzo type medicine like valium (diazepam) that last longer in our body.

Quote Originally Posted by contikitiki View Post
    Gad,

That's great you were have no difficulty in benzo addiction. I was too late to realize that my brain has been bonded by it after 2 month usage. Please consult to your doctor for your best taper plan. If you use it only for a short time, I think a rapid taper will be fine, I don't know. Mine is slower from 1mg, 0.8mg, 0.7, .... until several days ago, I hit 0 mg and jump. Anyway, so just in my opinion, if you think it is too hard with withdrawal symptom, I suggest you to discuss with your dr to switch to slow taper. Or change the medicine to another benzo type medicine like valium (diazepam) that last longer in our body.
    Thanx, I have consulted with DR...He approves of what I am doing....Thanx for looking out. Best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by gadguy View Post
    Thanx, I have consulted with DR...He approves of what I am doing....Thanx for looking out. Best wishes to you.

Update..headaches have subsided....1 more week on .5mg then move to .25.