Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3?

Vitamin D3?

Hi,
    Can I take Vitamin D3 in the form of tablets without a physician's prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by mixtomaster View Post
    Hi,
    Can I take Vitamin D3 in the form of tablets without a physician's prescription?
    Yep. Most health and drug stores will sell D3 supplements.

It's worth having blood work done before taking them though, just so you know what your current level is. Ideally you'll want to get into optimum range, rather than shoot blindly in the dark.

Yes of course. However certain vitamins interact with medication.

Quote Originally Posted by mixtomaster View Post
    Hi,
    you must not take D3 on its own. you really need to do some research..taking D3 on its own can be a health hazard on its own. ask at any proper health store for more information regarding taking calcium and magnesium chelate along with vitamin D3 first of all you need to have a blood test to see if you are deficient otherwise you will be wasting your money
    cough and the world coughs with you. fart and you fart alone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Five thousand units a day is good, even without checking the levels.)
    8 thousand would be unwise without the test first. We all are deficient in VD3 (oh maybe Aussies are not) due the sunblock and not being enough outside, ............
    I talked to my doc and she told me that 5-6 thousand a day is completely safe
    Last edited by Dahila; 01-26-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Hey mixtomaster,

You can, but there are things you should know first.

View my previous post on vitamin D at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...obbly-eyesight

For it to be absorbed and utilised, it requires the cofactors; zinc, magnesium, vitamin K2, and boron (assuming adequate calcium levels, which most people have). If in doubt, (up to 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium, and many get insufficient vitamin K2) you could take a daily high quality multivitamin / mineral supplement, such as those at xtend-life.com or mercola.com, or (locally available) Suisse.

Because it's oil soluble, take vitamin D with a little healthy oil, like omega 3 fish / krill oil, coconut oil, macadamia or olive oil.

It's best to get your vitamin D levels tested before supplementing, so you can more accurately estimate the amount you require, then re-test after 2 months to see if in the desired range (60 ng/ml to 70 ng/ml, or 150 nmol/lit to 175 nmol/lit).

Then test every 6 months, preferably soon after the end of summer, and soon after the end of winter.

If you aren't in a position to test regularly, (see vitaminDcouncil.org re low cost testing) 5,000 IU is the minimum amount likely to prove beneficial (I take around 8,000 IU to keep in the above target range, but have regular testing).

Daily supplementation is best, if not getting regular sensible sun exposure, which is preferable.

See: How Much Sunshine Does it Take to Make Enough Vitamin D? Perhaps More Than You Think!, at http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...you-think.aspx
    Last edited by Nowuccas; 01-26-2016 at 09:27 PM.

I take it every day and even more in the winter
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

I'm going to take some now 5000 a day is my number - although I get plenty of sun, my liver is not that great.
    Going to take some B12 as well.

Don't forget to watch what else you put down ya gullet.

Pointless if you all eat is sugar and buns. Is OK though ... I just keep telling myself that.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

So very True Ponder and it's good to be back, I guess:unsure:
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    I'm going to take some now 5000 a day is my number - although I get plenty of sun, my liver is not that great.
    Going to take some B12 as well.

Don't forget to watch what else you put down ya gullet.

Pointless if you all eat is sugar and buns. Is OK though ... I just keep telling myself that.
    Hey! you're back. I messaged you as evolution, if you read that now you can scrap it.

And John's back too!

I'm the same, I take 5000. Not much sun here during the winter months.