Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Finally an Answer to My Constant Anxiety

So I've been feeling really rough over the past couple of days. The exposure therapy went brilliant, but once I got home I was plagued with terrible anxiety and the accompanying symptoms, the most annoying one nausea. Now, I had a CBT session tomorrow, only one little problem - I could not get of the toilet! Called the psychologist and he just rang me back. It all makes sense now. I've been pushing myself too hard! He advised to step away from it for a while and then continuing on.

I was waking up with terrible anxiety flares, almost terror. I could not figure out where it came from. Well now I know, my body is just so tense all the time from doing too much at once. I'm going to take the psychologists advice and take a step back. Once my body feels a little better, I can go on again with full confidence

Lesson learned: exposure is one thing, but taking a step back is sometimes necessary, especially when you get plagued by these horrible symptoms throughout the day. Anyone else struggled with this during their exposure or struggling with constant anxiety at home at the moment? I would like to read your tips & hints on how to get the body back to a normal level.

Thanks
    xxxx

Also, so tired of having this constant anxiety. Taking deep breaths frequently, although the only thing that can really calm me at the moment is guided meditation and sleep. Can't wait for this rough patch to be over. I feel frustrated and annoyed at my body, although I am proud of the things I have been able to achieve already. It's such a two-struggle all the time. On one hand, I'm glad I've done the things I've done over the past couple of months, on the other hand I feel like my anxiety at home has gone out of control. I'm ranting a little bit today, since I feel I need to get this off my chest somewhere.

Anxiety is a giant paradox, isn't it? You feel goddamn awful, 24/7 sometimes, yet by trying to overcome your condition quickly (to minimize your suffering) you risk worsening it.

Like you, I think I've tried way too hard to get better at times. Looking at it from afar, it's pretty obvious how such an attitude would keep a person sick. The amygdala is on the lookout for a danger. By desperately trying to overcome your anxiety, you sort of confirm to it that something is actually very wrong.

I guess that's why I've always thought of it as an illness you grow out of, rather than cure. Cultivating relaxation and good health implies that there can be set backs along the way. Cure implies the process is linear - which it rarely ever is!

I hope that this latest revelation is but one more positive seed planted in the garden of your mind.

If you feel your body is under a lot of stress, you can try progressive muscle relaxation and magnesium. Together they're likely to help rid some of the stress from your muscles. Long-term you'll probably need to repair your adrenals. The poor adrenal gland takes one hell of a beating during periods of immense stress. Sometimes it needs a little holistic help to get back to its fighting best. Shouldn't be too complicated, but will require a few minor lifestyle changes for a few months. Knock 25-30% more off of your anxiety before thinking about that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    Anxiety is a giant paradox, isn't it? You feel goddamn awful, 24/7 sometimes, yet by trying to overcome your condition quickly (to minimize your suffering) you risk worsening it.

Like you, I think I've tried way too hard to get better at times. Looking at it from afar, it's pretty obvious how such an attitude would keep a person sick. The amygdala is on the lookout for a danger. By desperately trying to overcome your anxiety, you sort of confirm to it that something is actually very wrong.

I guess that's why I've always thought of it as an illness you grow out of, rather than cure. Cultivating relaxation and good health implies that there can be set backs along the way. Cure implies the process is linear - which it rarely ever is!

I hope that this latest revelation is but one more positive seed planted in the garden of your mind.

If you feel your body is under a lot of stress, you can try progressive muscle relaxation and magnesium. Together they're likely to help rid some of the stress from your muscles. Long-term you'll probably need to repair your adrenals. The poor adrenal gland takes one hell of a beating during periods of immense stress. Sometimes it needs a little holistic help to get back to its fighting best. Shouldn't be too complicated, but will require a few minor lifestyle changes for a few months. Knock 25-30% more off of your anxiety before thinking about that, though.
    Great ideas thanks Woke up again with anxiety, not as bad as yesterday, but still very prominent. Finally calmed down last night with the help of some meditation.