Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Smile Existentialism/hyper-awareness?

Im slowly improving. yet i still struggle with strong intrusive existential thoughts, such as "why was i given this life?" "why are we here?" "why do we each have our own complex lives?" and all sorts of existential thoughts. they sometimes frighten me or catch me off guard, or trigger some anxiety.

I also am hyperaware of normal body functions and processes. Like talking. or thinking. or seeing. or movements. I'm just so aware of my own self.
    Why is this? and how can i stop it so i can lead a life without thinking these thoughts that serve no purpose other than to frighten me or put me in a daze where I'm mulling over these things?

Thanks !

in my experience i have found the backdrop to my life has been the reoccurring thoughts similar to what you have mentioned. what i am finding is that for me anyway that i need to balance this with getting my emotional needs met and i am working on this. not good at friendships blah blah blah but i do know that i have to get beyond this. it is through other people i am finding a purpose.

dont get lost in your head have room for your heart also. dont be a stranger get out there and start living. and yes for the longest time i have always and still do to some extent (its only as i type this that i realise that is shifting) "believe" that the world should be different to what is on offer. it is you and me that can make a better world and intellectual thinking is all well and good but it does not address your heart and that deep need for connection

so thanks for the question it has given me some insight. when i use the word insight, i mean for me its more of a "ah yes" rich kinda feeling like a good quality wine enjoyed in good company and not in excess!

btw its good to question just dont tip into the head trip
    cough and the world coughs with you. fart and you fart alone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey tidalpine,

You could try the following technique:

Nearly everyone has negative or recurring thoughts sometimes. They often occur before negative emotions*. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, etc., by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Use the "Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts" - When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.
    After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.
    Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method.

Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now", or "I choose to be more positive". I prefer: "Focus only on what to do now/next". Recommended reading: Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive by Barbara Fredrickson, & Negaholics: How to Overcome Negativity and Turn Your Life Around by Chérie Carter-Scott, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?" Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. (updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D.

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has ones about stopping negative thoughts and stopping intrusive thoughts.
    Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogS...ative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.
    The key is persistence; over time the frequency and power of the negative thoughts will lessen, but will always recur occasionally, which is normal, and healthy.
    Last edited by Nowuccas; 12-15-2015 at 05:48 AM.